CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

He knocked on the door, looking around to see if anyone was close by. He hated that he's acting like a thief but this was utterly new to him. He'd never committed a grave sin so aware like this and it was disturbing to the pit of his being. But he's trying to calm himself with the fact that it'd be better than not doing it.

The door was unlocked and opened slowly. She opened it a bit wider after seeing who it was and he stepped in, just the sight of the living room brought back dirty blurry memories that made him want to throw up.

"Good evening." She greeted and he could only nod.

"Come in. Should I get you water or Coke?"

He took off his shoe, shaking his head. "Nothing, I'm good." He walked in and sat on the armchair.

She also found a place to sit and a cloud of silence hovered above them for a few seconds.

"Hope you're ready?" He sought.

She glanced at him then sighed. "Honestly no."

"Do we have to do this again?" He crinkled his nose.

"I'm sorry but... I'm still just not okay with it."

"Everything will be alright, you just need to relax."

Her throat worked and she fiddled with her fingers."Can I make a request?"

"What?"

"In case something happens and this comes out, I know it'll also cause problems for you and not just me but please, don't hate me for what I did."

Ali couldn't find the right thing to say to her so he just cleared his throat and kept quiet.

She's heartbroken by his silence and she looked down at her thigh.

"The doctor said you should fast from tomorrow night, I'll pick you up 8:30 am sharp on Wednesday by the junction."

She nodded quietly.

"Zainab, please support me in this."

She's quiet, anxiously quiet.

"I honestly hate how you're making me hate myself for wanting to do this. As far as I know it's for both our good."

"I'm sorry." She murmured.

"Look," He leaned forward. "I got your back in this, you're not alone. And I'll really love it if I get the same from you."

"I'm just nervous."

"You don't have to be, just have faith and everything's gonna go smoothly."

"Amin."

There's silence for a short while before he stood up to take his leave.

"See you tomorrow?"

She nodded, standing up. "I'm so sorry."

"What's done is done, quit the apologies."

"I'm really sorry, I hope you find it in your heart to forgive me someday."

Ali stared at her, mute. There's nothing he could really say or do, comforting people wasn't really a usual thing for him but he still tried to say something. "Just take care of yourself. You know how to contact me in case anything arises."

She nodded with an okay and walked him to the door.

"Just go back in, I can manage."

She acceded and watched him till he went out the compound before heading inside.