CHAPTER SEVEN

"I think everything's set now. The operation will begin on Monday, I don't think I'll be having much time to come for inspection, everything will have to be done by you." Ali glanced at Umar.

"That's strenuous but, no probs."

"You'll have Andy too, just mail me when you're having a problem. The materials will be arriving tomorrow, I could save a little time to oversee that."

"Alright."

Ali got to his feet. "Let me be going. Gotta get something from the office."

"Okay. Lemme come along." Umar stood up also, securing sleeping Zayn on his shoulder and called for his wife, walking towards the dining area.

"Zee?"

"Yes?" She appeared seconds later, wiping her hands on her maxi dress.

"Lay him down," He gave her the boy. "I'll be out for a while."

"Is Ya Ali leaving?"

"Yeah."

She nestled Zayn on her shoulder and walked with him to the sitting room where Ali was already standing by the door.

"Haba Ya Ali, I thought you're staying for lunch."

He flashed her a small smile. "Nah, that lady at home, she'll have me for supper if I eat out."

She laughed. "But it's been long Ya Ali, it'll soon be done and don't worry, I'll talk to her."

"Thanks Fauziyya but, not today. Some other time, I promise."

"Okay, my regards to her."

"Of course_" He stopped mid-sentence when his phone lit up in his hand.

Lawrence? What could be the problem?

He received with his heart in his throat. Something just didn't hold good.

"Sorry for interrupting your work, Sir, but I just received a call from Mallam Sani, said your wife had a little misunderstanding with a maid and that they heard a loud scream from her room afterwards."

A feeling of dread crept up to the pit of his stomach and his defensive instincts kicked in.

"What the hell are you saying? A maid... wait, none of you went to check on her?!"

"You've given strict orders not to_"

"The hell! Go check on her, this minute, call... I'm on my way."

"What's the matter?" Umar asked sorely as Ali put his phone back in his pocket.

"Nothing much, just go to the office and help me get the purchase request files." And he dashed out, got in the car and rode home.

* * *

"The door's locked."

He just couldn't explain what soared in him at that very statement. Thinking any second could mean her life, he held the door handle, hitting it in an attempt to unlock it.

He never hated having privacy handles as he did then. Well, he never did, Mansur asked for it to be installed after the 'incident' some few months back. At least with the door locked, she'd definitely be safe in her section.

Knowing he wouldn't do anything sane if he let his emotions get the better of him, he sucked in a breath to relax.

"Lawrence, go to my work desk, get me two paper clips. Sani, get me a hammer and a small screwdriver." They've turned around before he's even through.