CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

One day, just one day in that mansion and Amira knew she wouldn't last.

She wasn't the least comfortable around any member of the family cos she felt like there's always a ticking bomb around her, waiting to explode.

It was the second day and she's laying in bed, hungry but without appetite and as sick as she could ever be.

There's a salaam by the door and she mumbled a reply to it, luckily the lady heard.

It's the young lady from the last time she's there, what's that her name again?

"Good morning Ma." She bowed in greeting.

"Morning."

"Sir Ali's asking for you."

"Why?" She didn't hide her irritation.

"For breakfast, I believe."

"Tell him I'm not hungry."

"He said he'd come up if you don't go."

She hissed, cursed under her breath. "Tell him I said he should do his worst."

The lady stood without moving and Amira sat up from her pillow. "I'm coming."

"Okay Ma'am." And she finally left.

Amira plopped down on the pillow again. No, he's not the least sorry.

After loitering for long minutes, she got out of the bed and threw a hijab over her gown, headed out.

She met him in the dining room, his meal obviously untouched.

"Was about heading up. Have a seat." He offered and she sat two seats before him.

"Don't sit there."

She ignored him.

He stood up with his crutches and she followed him with her eyes as he limped towards her, sat besides her. "You keep on doing this," He panted. "I keep on annoying you."

She glared at him, said nothing.

He called one of the workers and Ummi appeared from the kitchen almost immediately.

"Set my meal here."

She okayed and did as she's told.

"Get her something to eat as well."

"Okay. What'd you like Ma'am?"

"Nothing,"

"Get her noodles as well, with a cup of hot chocolate." Ali ordered.

"Egg?"

"Fry it."

She okayed and left.

"Should I wait for you?"

"Do you know how annoying you are?"

"I wouldn't be if you just loosen up."

"What do you want?"

"To look after you, all the time. So you should always be with me, to look after you."

"What's your definition of looking after?"

"To make sure you're alright."

"I'm alright."

"Just saying it doesn't mean you are, Amina Mika'il." He used her first name intentionally.

She scoffed, bit on her lip. "I feel like... smothering you."

"You're free to."

She pushed back her seat.