CHAPTER FORTY-ONE

Time passed by fast and it's already three weeks after her miscarriage. A lot has happened, a lot was happening.

The worse of that was the death of Usman which was over a week ago.

He was taken to the naval headquarters after his treatment to face the panel only to be found dead in his cell a night before his final hearing, murdered.

There were rumors that Ali had a hand in it, Usman's family even attacked him swearing that they're taking him to court.

But he didn't, he had many reasons to but he's sure the navy would pass out a befitting judgement.

And after the investigations, the culprit wasn't found but no trail led to Ali or anyone close to him.

Seemed Usman had issues with quite a number of people.

He didn't want to go to the burial but his stepmom insisted, saying he shouldn't harbor so much hatred towards a deceased and giving also the fact that he was his brother-in-law.

He went along with all his cousins and friends; Ahmad and Salis. He didn't care about the looks he's given, it's usual and expected.

They only stayed for a few hours before they took their leave.

Asiyah was also taken to court but her parents begged for forgiveness, he decided to let it all be even though Mansur wasn't happy about it. But she risked her life for his wife even though it's still hard to believe. And just because she survived doesn't mean Amira would have, he owed her that.

He heard though that she left the country, or her parents sent her out of the country, either way, she should reflect on her life and change for the better.

It's already past six months, there had to be a Lamido, but the Lamido was still comatose.

He's been ignoring that fact, stayed at his inlaw's almost all the time and always used Amira as an excuse. But he knew he had to face it, he needs to show up when he's called.

But truth is he's sick to his bones, terrified, scared of what'd happen if another Lamido had to be crowned. It would be him, cos he had enough stuff against Barkindo to make sure he gets a sentence, the easy or hard way.

Aunt Zulaikha was just... she was just hopeless. They still kept her in the house, monitored her every move. She spoke to noone in the family cos obviously, she's mad at them. But none of them cared, that's her issue to deal with.

And Amira? Amira was still the same. She's not uttered a word in weeks except incoherent mumbles anytime she's having a terrible dream which was frequent, she has a nightmare almost anytime she closes her eyes to sleep and she'd always wake up crying. At times she just bursts out crying, just like that. It was something they've gotten used to.

But she's becoming more alert, gradually, does necessary things herself without needing a hand. But she's still having a hard time going out of her room, or having too many people in it at a time.

Ali made sure he's always there for her, always. Partially because he didn't want to meet with his family and mostly because he wanted to be there for her at her hard time. He managed to put aside his grief to help her through hers and in a funny way, it's like he helping her was also like she helping him.

At times they'll just lay in silence, or sometimes - most mornings, she'll just cuddle on his lap while he recites the Qur'an. Sometimes he'll manage to share stories with her if she's her attentive self and others, they'll watch videos until she sleeps off.

She'd just come out of the toilet after her morning bath and he stood up with a towel which he rolled around her wet hair. She'd refused for him to wash it for her and he didn't force it.