The kid

When the got home Levi stormed into the house and smacked Farlan up the side of the head. Farlan who was peacefully sat on the sofa rubbed his head and glared at Levi.

"What the hell was that for?"

"You shouldn't let Scarlett go out unprotected you idiot. She could have been caught by those filthy animals." Farlan's eyes widened. That would mean that Scarlett would be taken away from them. Something neither of them wanted. He moved past Levi and placed a hand on Scarlett's shoulder. Levi glared at Farlan's hand, he touched her so easily. He had noticed that over the past week Scarlett had flinched less and less when he touched her. Was she becoming comfortable with it? Levi didn't know but he wished that she would do.

"I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking."

"No honestly it's fine. If worst comes to worst I cam fight them off you know? I have been running from these men most of my life."

"Tch." Said Levi with a scowl. He moved towards the door.

"Now where are you going?" Asked Farlan.

"Out because I didn't finish my business because I had to bring Scarlett home." He made it sounds like an inconvenience but actually Levi was happy to have done it, if it meant she was safe. Then they heard a bang at the closed door. Both Levi and Farlan pulled out their knives. It could easily be the military police. They were always looking for them. Farlan moved to the door and Levi stepped back making she that he was stood in front of Scarlett. He would protect her if her needed to. Checking that Scarlett was safe Farlan got the nod from Levi to go ahead on open the door. Farlan took a deep breath and with his knife in his left hand he opened the door with his right. As soon as the door opened a girl feel face flat on their floor. She had choppy purple hair that was tired into small pigtails. She was protecting something which was clung to her check that's why she did not put her hands out to stop her fall. The girl coughed and Levi looked down at her, unhappily. Scarlett watched over Levi's shoulder. She recognised the girl but she didn't know where from.

"What? It's just a kid. That surprised me." Said Farlan.

"Not...a kid." Said the girl on the floor. The three looked at her with rather blank expressions. What was she doing here? "I'm not...a kid." She said looked up angrily at Levi from the floor. This girl was a brave one, thought Levi.

"Is that so? I won't feel bad for kicking you out then. I'll let the fact that you dirtied the floor slide. Get out now."

"What? You can't even move?" Asked Farlan looking down at her disapprovingly.

"Of course I can. Don't look down on me!" She shouted. Scarlett's eyes widened when she heard those words. She remembered this kid. How could she forget. She remembered that she stood in front of a load of other kids when they were being attacked. That was when Scarlett had stepped in to save then all. She remembered the kid was very brave and she said the same words to the men that where attacking them. What was her name? The girl put one hand in front of her and pushed herself up. The other hand was cradling a small bird to her chest.

"What a strong willed kid." Said Farlan. He had never seen a kid so strong before. This kid clearly was different from the others.

"Over here!" The four heard from outside the door. The girl looked up in a panic. Her eyes were a stunning green colour. She looked like she was planning to stand but she was too weak and fell onto her side. Her back slammed against the wall.

"Tch. Bastard, your being chased?"

"What should we do?" Asked Farlan. The two moved towards the door to see what was going on below.

The men from the gate ran to the place then last saw her. The leader was a rather fat man. His hand was bleeding with a large bit mark on it.

"Shit, she really bit me. When we fine her I'm going to be the first to have fun with her." Scarlett who was still far in the house head the remark. What sort of fun where these guys planning? She clenched her fists and frowned, the poor girl. The girl looked up at Scarlett. For a moment she was scared at the look on her face but her eyes lit up as she realised who the girl was. She was the one that saved her all those years ago.

"There no fun or anything on a brat like that." Said another one of the men that followed the fat man. Levi and Farlan continued to watch, trying to work out why they were chasing the girl. The leader laughed and then spotted the two stood in the doorway up the steps.

"Hey, there a dirty little kid here right?"

"Those are the only kids around." Replied Farlan. His words where true. Down in the Underground you didn't get clean kids because most lived on the streets. The man moved up the steps.

"You guys are the thugs in this area?" Farlan smiled happy that the fat man knew them. Levi just watched him climb up the steps.

"Which of us are?" Farlan asked. The man stopped when he spotted the girl.

"Hey, I've found her." He called to his comrades, the girl looked at her lap and gritted her teeth. Surely this was it, these people didn't look like the ones to protect her but that girl...she had saved her before. Would she do it again? The way she was shaking with anger suggested that she would but it was clear even to the girl that the short man, with the black hair that threatened to kick her out was the leader. "I thought as much. Are you guys friends?"

"Not at all." Farlan answered honestly. The others men climbed up the steps to join the fat man.

"Then hand her over to us."

"I'm sorry if you had to cover for her. After all she tried to get past the 11th stairway without paying. You guys should know this the 11th stairway id under Jurisdiction of one of the nobles, Lobov. Anyone who tires to get past there is prosecuted."

"Of course you guys will be charge for being her accomplice." What? Thought the girl. Oh no, now she had gotten them in trouble too. What was she going to do now?..