To laugh for the first time

Levi walked up the stairs an hour later, he expected everyone to be up by now. When he walked in the three of them we chatting happily around the table sat on the sofas. They looked like they had all been friends for years not two days. Levi sort of wanted to be part of it but at the same time he didn't. He looked at Scarlett, his eyes always seemed to fall on her. She was smiling, it wasn't often that she smile but when she did Levi felt like she lit up the Underground. Like she was the sun that they didn't have. They all went silent and turned to look at him when he came in.

"Gear up, we're going to teach Isabel to use the 3DM gear today." He said coldly. Isabel jumped up and ran over to him. Stopping a little way away. She smiled happily at him.

"Really? You mean it?"

"Tch, go away brat!" He said pushing her away.

Some time later all four of them went to where Scarlett practised balancing on one of the 3DM gear. Just like he did for her Farlan explained everything to Isabel while Levi and Scarlett stood watching from the sidelines in silence. Isabel didn't seem to be listening to what Farlan was telling her though. Eventually Farlan let down and let Isabel balance on her own but she fell straight to the floor. She bangled there helplessly upside down. A smile read across Scarlett's face she tried to hold it in but her couldn't. She burst out laughing which made the other three look at her. Levi looked at her from the side his his usual blank expression but inside he was dying slightly. Her laugh to him was a beautiful sounds. The best thing he had ever heard. Farlan's face was bright red, Isabel smiled at her. All three were enjoying the rare sound. For Scarlett the notion of laughing was alien. She had never done it before. She laughed from the first time at the age of 22. She enjoyed the feeling. The great sense of happiness and freedom that came with it. Freedom. That was something she was experiencing a lot more since she came to live with Farlan and Levi. She covered her mouth with her hand and composed herself.

"Sorry." She said. "Sorry that was just too funny." Still blushing Farlan turned back to Isabel. Levi continued to watch her with interest.

"That was the first time you ever laughed, wasn't it?" He asked her. Scarlett looked at him.

"Yeah it was."

"You should try it more often. It's a sound I would like to hear again sometime."

"O-okay, I guess I can try and make that happen." Scarlett stuttered. She felt like she had butterflies trapped inside her stomach. Her cheeks were beginning to heat up to. Her heart was pounding loudly in her chest.

"And you're blushing too. It looks like a day of first for you." Said Levi turning his face away. It was becoming too much. To hear her laugh to sweetly and then to see her blush because of something he said. If he continued to look he might lose all his self control. No, he would lose his self control, there was no might about it. Why must she make him feel this way? Why must she be so darn cute? Why must she keep doing things that drive him mad? She never left his mind, not even for a second. He was always thinking about her. When she wasn't by her side he wondered where she was, exactly what she was doing. When she was by his side all he wanted to do was take her in his arms and kiss her rosy lips. He just wanted to make her happy but a grumpy, heartless bastard like him couldn't do that. Perhaps it would be better of she was with Farlan. Levi knew that he could male her happy, but the thought of them actually being together, enraged him. Levi knew his decision was selfish but he would not simply let Farlan take her heart away from him...

"Maybe we should call it quits today!" Said Scarlett looking at Isabel's battered face. She had fallen on her face many times after the first and her cheeks were bruised and there were some bleeding cuts on her face.

"But I want to carry on." Whined Isabel

"And you can tomorrow, but in the tired state your in your not going to get anywhere." Farlan and Levi looked on at the exchange between the two. It was almost like a Mother talking to her much loved child. When had their relationship become that close?

"No but really I can do it." Said Isabel.

"Stupid brat, listen to Scarlett. If you can't do this them you won't ever be able to operate the 3DM gear." Snapped Levi.

"Scarlett is right Isabel. You should rest, try again tomorrow."

"Alright fine." She sighed and got down. Farlan and Levi walked on ahead of the girls. They walked side by side in complete silence. Isabel looked really upset.

"Hey don't look so down hearted you'll get it soon." Encouraged Scarlett.

"But what if I don't? And I'm becoming more and more sure that bro hates me."

"I told you this morning. He does care you just have to look for the evidence."

"What evidence is there that he cares about me?"

"The fact that he came with us here. Look, the thing about Levi is he doesn't do anything he doesn't have to. If he came with us it's because he believes that it's important for him to be there when your learning how to use this gear."

"But all he did was stand there."

"I know, he did the same for me. He just stood there in silence but the fact he even bothered to come shows he cares."

"I guess I see that. You really seem to understand him." Scarlett felt her cheeks heat up a little.

"I have always just been a good judge of character, that's all."

"Hey can I ask you a question?"

"Yeah I guess."

"And I want an honest answer."

"Okay..." Said Scarlett unsure of where this was going.

"You said this morning that you had a fear about when they closed the door because you felt trapped but you haven't told then about it. Why haven't you told them?" Scarlett frowned. She didn't really know the answer to that question herself yet. She looked at the back of Levi and Farlan's heads. Why hadn't she told them?

"I guess I'm scared of admitting my fears to them. I have lived my whole life trying to convince everyone that I was strong, hiding my fears from the world. I guess it's hard to open up after keeping it in for all those years, even if I know that the people I tell won't hurt me."

"I don't understand. You told me all your fears and you have known them longer."

"But they are men. That's the difference. Men are something I've been running away from. All the men that surrounded me before I met Levi and Farlan were evil creatures. They prey on the weak and I was determined not to be prey."

"Do you think you'll ever be able to trust a man?" Scarlett's eyes traveled to Levi's small figure.

"I really hope so..."