The first day of training

The four followed Captain Sky out into an open field. The sun was beating down on their skin making them squint. It was a really warm day, something the four of them weren't used too. Levi was still wearing his cravat. He did like it but he liked the fact that Scarlett liked it even more. Levi was naturally at the front and Scarlett was right behind him. Behind her was Farlan and Isabel was at the back. Back in the Underground Farlan and Levi would have been at the front but on the surface it was Levi and Scarlett. This was mainly because Farlan and Isabel knew that it was those two that the survey corps really wanted, they were there simply because they didn't want to leave the other two's side, and so they fell to the back. In the middle of the field stood Commander Erwin with the guy that had pushed Levi's face into the sewage next to him. Now they got a closer look they saw the man had short blond hair and a trimmed beard and a moustache. He had blue eyes and his face was blank and stern, like Levi's often was. The four stood in front of them in a line while Captain Sky went and stood on the other side of Commander Erwin.

"Captain Sky you already know but this is Captain Mike." He said gesturing towards him. "He is the best soldier in the survey corps and my right hand man. I have worked with him for many years. He and I will be teaching you sword play. The plan was too give you your citizenships in my office but we decided it would be best just to start as soon as possible. In a months time the survey corps will be heading put on a mission. This is your chance to prove your worth to us. Many people still are unsure about you, this is the perfect way for you to earn your place in the survey corps. Your citizenships will still be safely delivered at the end of the day. Breakfast is at 7:30, so you have missed it today. Dinner is an 8:30. We serve a long day of training here in the survey corps but you will thank us for it when you are out in the field. The first lesson every new cadet mist learn is the salute, which Captain Sky will show you." As she said her name she stepped forward and stood in front of the four. Erwin and Mike stepped back and watched them all in silence.

"The salute is a sign of respect. It is very important to get it right. You will be expected to give it to all those higher than you. It is very simple, place both of you hands in a fist." The four did as she ordered them too. "Then place the left one over your heart and the other one behind your back. Make sure to stand up straight and look sharp." Captain Sly looked at the four individually. "Good." Was all she said and stepped back in line with her Commander. Then Mike moved backward and lifted up a blanket revealing eight swords. He easily picked them all up and tucked them under his left arm. He slowly began handing them out to the four starting with Isabel. Commander Erwin stepped forward and addressed them as the blades were being handed out.

"These blades are made from super hardened steel. They are both supple and strong. They can only be made in the best furnaces in the city. They are the only blades that are able to cut into Titan flesh. They can be very dangerous if they are used incorrectly." Levi glared at Mike as he handed him his two swords. Mike simply ignored him and proceeded to go and stand next to Erwin again...

The next 10 hours were spent training. They paused only for half an hour to half a little bit of lunch. There wasn't much since as Erwin had told them that eating a lot and training hard wasn't a good idea. Captain Sky had left them some time ago, she had to go and see her own squad. Captain Mike stood by Commander Erwin and watched as the four of them as they practised all the new moves they had learnt that day against each other. Erwin turned to Mike.

"Do you think they will be ready?"

"It is too early too say at the moment but they do show great skill already. The black haired girl is very impressive. Their leader is also extremely good but the girls form is a little more reformed."

"What of the other two?" Asked Erwin looking to Mike for his opinion.

"They are good especially since this is their first lesson but they will meed more work."

"We only have a month."

"They should be ready by then. Tomorrow they are all with Hange who will teach they all they need to know on Titans. May I recommend something Sir?"

"Of course."

"I recommend that this first two weeks we have them focus on swordplay and the theory. The third should be spent putting what they have learnt into action and the fourth should be spent giving them simple missions with others. They need to work on working with those that aren't from the Underground."

"Yes that sounds sensible. From what I have seen they do seem to be hostile towards those outside their group. They will be leaving their lives in the hands of people from the surface too. On the other hand our side haven't exactly been welcoming."

"If you are referring to Captain Sky then I will personally apologise for her. She is an old friend of mine, she and I trained to be soldiers side by side. I know that it is no excuse but she has been told that people from the Underground are disgusting creatures and they should not be trusted."

"Yes and I am well aware that she will not be the only one to think of them that way however they are members of the survey corps now. We also have to be prepared that not all of them will survive the mission in a month."

"So we really are sending them to their deaths?"

"Not the stronger ones. This world only allows the strong to live and no matter how ready we think we are some are simply not ready to face the horrors that lie outside the walls..."