Another job offer

Just a day after their fist job together Levi was walking at the front with Farlan a little behind him and then Scarlett and Isabel walked side by side at the back. When they got to the base if the stairs leading up to their house Levi sopped suddenly. They all stared at an old man that stood there. He looked a little too posh to be from the Underground. He had a rather smart suit on with grey hair and a grey moustache. He was checking his pocket watch but put it away when he saw the four approaching.

"What's the deal old man? You want something?" Asked Isabel rather bluntly. She could be like that around people she didn't know. In that sense she took after Levi. She didn't care much for strangers and was often aggressive and blunt with them. The other three silently watched for the man to answer the question.

"I've come for a job request." He say plainly. Instantly Levi and Farlan knew something was up. People very rarely came to them asking for a request, especially people like this guy.

"Didn't you get the wrong house? This is not a handy man shop." Farlan asked him.

"I promise you a reward."

"Go home." Ordered Levi. He didn't like anything about this man. He began to walk again and the other three followed him. Scarlett watched the man carefully, he stared at her too.

"I've already paid the deposit though." Everyone stopped half way on the stairs and looked at him.

"You're kidding right? This is the first time we have seen you." Said Farlan.

"That's true but you should already know about him..." The four looked across the street and saw a carriage. There was a man they didn't know stood outside. He was looking down the alleyway like the was waiting for someone. Scarlett saw a man with a bad leg being supported by another man. She recognised the man as...

"Jan!" Called out Farlan. Scarlett had only met him the once. He was a good friend of his and Levi's but he had a problem with his leg. The problem he had was not uncommon, the lack of sunlight did something to the leg which made then stop working. The one time Scarlett spook to him he seemed like a really nice guy, very happy and caring despite everything.

"He needs to get treatment at a hospital on the surface, isn't that right Levi?" The man said. Levi stared at him but said nothing.

"What's the meaning of this?" Demanded Farlan

"I told you didn't I? It's a deposit for the job." Scarlett's eyes widened knowing what he was talking about. The deposit wasn't in cash, he was saying that if they do this job then they would get Jan treatment from the surface, but if they were doing that then that meant that if they refused to do the job they might kill him.

"Fine then." Levi said scowling as the watched Jan be put in the carriage by two men. He was talking to them with a smile but the four couldn't hear what they were saying...

They man lead them through the 11th stairway and the five of them climbed the stairway in complete silence. The strange old man at the front of them and Levi and the rest following him. They began to see light pouring in from the top of the stairway. That was...that was the surface, thought Scarlett. The old man continued up the next set of stairs but the four stayed at the bottom, shielding their eyes from the bright sun. The looked up the stairs and saw another carriage. The old man stood just to the side of the open door. They could see the outline of a man within it but they couldn't see his face.

"Are these the guys?" Asked a very deep voice from the mysterious man inside the carriage.

"Who the hell are you?" Asked Levi coldly.

"It's understandable that your wary of me but you'll learn it's okay to trust me."

"Ha, how could we?" Asked Farlan.

"The fact I'm here says everything. I'm at great risk just by being here. Have you received the deposit already?"

"I don't know how things work up there, but in your world that's called taking a hostage."

"That's just a contingency plan we laid in place. When you have successful completed the job, you won't only be getting a huge sim of money but also, citizenship on the surface..." Levi turned and began to walk back down the steps, straight past the other three.

"I'll tell you one thing." Said the man causing Levi to turn back around. "Regardless of whether you accept this job or not, the target will still make contact. In other words you can't remain unrelated in this matter..."