The surface

The four, still in chains walked towards the 11th stairway. Many people stared and pointed at them. Most of them were shocked that the thug four had been caught. The survey corps paid no attention to the people pointing at them on the streets. They continued forward following their Corporal Erwin Smith. When they got to the stairway they were let through without question. The four of them recognised the fat man who was stood glaring at them. He was the one that led the chase after Isabel when she tired to get past without paying. Eventually they were up the steps and could see the surface. As soon as they stepped out the four squinted, blinded by the sun.

"They will need a moment to adjust." Said Erwin to the other three. There was a carriage waiting to take them away. After a few minutes of their eyes being in pain they were beginning to see again. Scarlett saw buildings and streets that were clean. Scarlett closed her eyes and enjoyed the breeze she could feel of her face. The air smelt clean and fresh, not like the disgusting air her lungs had been breathing in her whole life. Erwin noticing the girls happy face took the chance to talk to her. He still didn't know her name or the other two. The wanted to know, she was after all joining the survey corps. 

"I would get used to that feeling." He told her. Scarlett opened her eyes and looked at him. Levi and the others silently watched as he approached her. "You will all be living up here now. Tell me what is your name?" Scarlett paused not really wanting to answer but Levi had given his name, so that meant that it was okay for her to give hers.

"Scarlett." She said bluntly.

"And your friends?"

"You should ask them yourself. It's not my place to give their names." Ewrin nodded and look at the two.

"Isabel." She said. Ewrin looked to Farlan.

"Farlan Church."

"Then Isabel and Farlan you are free to go wherever you wish after you have been to court and got your citizenship."

"We want to join the survey corps too." Said Isabel. Levi and Scarlett stared at them. Please don't do this, thought Scarlett. 

"We are a team." Continued Farlan. "We stick together."

"An admirable decision. You are welcome to join if that is really what you wish. Erwin nodded and the four were ushered into the back of the carriage. The door closed and the four were left alone.

"You're not serious about joining are you?" Scarlett asked them.

"Of course we are. We're not going to sit back and let you guys have all the fun." Said Farlan with a smile.

"This isn't a joke. Joining the survey corps is dangerous."

"Scarlett we know that but we are still sticking with you both." Said Isabel. Scarlett knew there was no point arguing further. Once Isabel made her decision she didn't go back on it and the more you told her not to the more she was determined to do it. "Where are the taking us anyway?" Isabel asked.

"Inside wall Sina." Said Levi speaking up suddenly. "That's where we will be held in court and eventually given citizenship."  

"Then what will happen to us?" She asked.

"We start training on how to kill Titans." They felt the carriage begin to move beneath them.

"If they want to help so much they could start by not treating us like prisoners." Isabel grumbled.

"They don't have a choice." Said Farlan. "We're from the Underground. We're unpredictable and rash sometimes because of where we're from. There is no saying what we could do, especially the four of us."

"Yeah of course. That's right that girl called us Underground rats didn't she." Said Scarlett angrily. "I just wish I could have messed up her face a lot more than I did."

"Scarlett will you teach me to fight like you?" Asked Isabel put of the blue. Levi side glanced over at Scarlett who was looking at Isabel.

"Um I guess I can do that but why?"

"Because I never want to feel that useless in a fight again. If I knew how to fight we could have won." There was silence in the carriage.

"It's fine Isabel." Scarlett said. "I can teach you how to fight but maybe losing that fight was for the better anyway. We have managed to get above ground."

"Where as that's true..." Farlan began. "I'm not sure that being up here is much better. People of the surface don't like people from the Underground. That was clear from the way the girl treated you and the way they looked at us like we were something to stay clear of. Not to mention that on top of all that, we will be joining the survey corps, a regiment where thousands of people die and never come home. A regiment where we will be putting our lives on the line everyday..."