Just Another Day

The three girls, Adeline, Bestylove and Eliada sat in class taking note of what Mr. Addo, their International Politics lecturer said. He made mention of the finals and everyone groaned out loud. No one liked the finals, it was just too tiring.

"I can't wait to go home. Honestly can't these people do without finals? Just torturing us students for nothing." Besty commented in her best angry voice

"Sister, no one forced you to come to school. You can easily drop out and get married" Addie retorted while Eli laughed.

"Haha, very funny. Do I look like a housewife to you?" she remarked sarcastically.

"Is there a look for housewives?" At this point Eli was laughing was so hard earning a few stares from those around them.

She finally managed to calm down, "You guys are crazy. Please stop my ribcage is hurting"

"Is there something you three would like to share with the class?" a voice sarcastically asked. They looked ahead to see everyone staring and Mr Addo glaring at them

They lowered their gaze in shame and mumbled in unison, "No, sir!"

"I thought so!" He continued the class and the girls kept mute the whole time until class was over then made their way out with everyone else.

"Addie! Adeline!" someone called out from behind them. She turned to see Papa running towards her.

"Oh great!" she mumbled under her breath. Her two friends giggled and walked further away. Papa had been bugging her since the previous semester to go out with him. She had refused of course but the boy was as stubborn as a mule.

"Hey, what's up?" he greeted when he got to her side.

She rolled her eyes, "Great!" she answered half-heartedly, wanting so much be anywhere else than with him.

"You look great by the way" She looked at her attire, a simple t-shirt and jeans, and sighed. This was getting old.

"Thanks."

"So..." he trailed with an expectant look

She rolled her eyes. "So..."

"Can I can come see you tonight?"

"What for?"

"You know what..."

"Oh Papa! Do you ever give up?"

"With you, no! Never!" he answered with conviction.

It wasn't that Papa was a bad looking fellow or anything but something about him repulsed her all the same. "I've got to go. My friends are waiting."

"So it's a yes then?"

"No!" she let out an exasperated sigh and walked off to join her friends who had been watching the whole encounter from afar.

"What did he want?" Eli asked just to taunt her. They all knew what he wanted.

"Huh... same old." she replied as she drag them along with her.

"Seriously, Adeline. You should give the boy a chance." Besty mocked.

"Oh please!" she sneered. They all burst out laughing and made their way back to their apartment complex.

These three became really close during their freshman year. They offered the same major, Political Science at the Kumasi University of Science and Technology. Adeline came from a family of five, her parents, her twin brothers and herself. She was the eldest hence the pride and exemplary figure for her siblings. She had little social life and hardly hang out with anyone except Besty and Eli.

She grew up learning boys were a distraction and if she wanted to succeed, it was best she avoided any form of non-platonic relations with them. She wasn't against teenagers having boyfriends or as the term goes 'having fun' after all Eli had a boyfriend and he was cool. She just wasn't ready for one yet. It made life easier.

There were voices whispering not as quietly as Adeline stirred in her sleep waking up from her nap. She realized the voices belonged to Eli and Kevin, her boyfriend. They were sort of arguing and it felt awkward to be an audience so she pretended to still be asleep.

"I know you're awake, Addie." Eli called. She sat up and smiled nervously.

"How did you know that" she questioned as she tried to stifle a yawn.

"You've been stirring for the past five minutes."

"Oh! Hey, Kevin!" she greeted acknowledging the guest in the room.

"Hello! By the way you look beautiful when you wake up." He complimented with a smirk. She scrunched her face as she turned to the mirror opposite her and gasped. Her hair was sticking out in all directions. Eli and Kevin laughed as she ran into the bathroom.

"Not funny, you guys!" she called out but only heard them laugh the more. She tried in vain to tame the frizz. After a while she gave up, so much for having natural hair. She'd been so tired that she forgot to wrap her hair in a scarf before she slept.

"I'm leaving, Adeline!" Kevin called out to her.

"Okay! Take care!" When she heard the door close she came out only to see the snicker on Eli's face. "What?" she asked but Eli let out a hearty laugh.

"You're funny, you know that..."

She frowned slightly, "What did I do?"

"Nothing, nothing. Just forget it."

She rolled her eyes and hopped onto her bed, "Where's Besty?"

"She said something about rehearsals" Eli joined her on the bed with her back propped against the wall. They all shared a one room apartment with three separate beds set in different corners of the room. It had a small balcony, a bathroom and a makeshift kitchen. "Aren't you hungry because I am?"

"Yeah, I am. What're we going to eat?"

"I don't know...uh...maybe kenkey?"

"No, we ate that yesterday. How about rice and gravy?"

"Sounds good or you know...you could call Papa to buy us pizza..."

"Shut up!" Adeline whined and threw a pillow at her which she caught before it hit her face. She burst into laughter as Adeline dragged herself into their kitchen to make dinner.

After dinner, they hurdled on Eli's bed to watch a movie. After debating for a minute, they settled on a romantic comedy movie.

"Is everything alright between you and Kevin?" Adeline asked out of the blue.

"Yeah, it is. We argued over something silly." Eli answered without looking away from the movie.

"Okay. That's good." She sensed she Eli was holding back something but decided not to probe any further. In the right time, she would spill.

"Where is the food, homies?" Besty called out announcing her presence but they just scoffed and ignored her. "Seriously, you girls are witches"

"Well it takes one to know one" Eli retorted smartly earning a chuckle. Besty made her way to their kitchen to grab a plate of whatever her diligent mates cooked. She joined them on the bed and soon was engulfed in the laughter and commentaries.

一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一

hi guys,so this is like my second book. I've basically been thinking about it since yesterday. I'm gonna try and write often and update Foreigners often as well. Constructive criticisms are welcomed.

Anyway,"kenkey" is a popular local ghanaian dish made from maize. It's really satisfying