Sins

"Have you ever wanted to feel nothing so bad that you're willing to do anything to feel exactly that—nothing" Adeline mumbled to Raina as she sat beside Noah's sick bed looking disheveled. She hadn't had a wink of sleep since she came to his room the day before and all efforts to get her to go home proved futile.

"I'm so sorry,Addie." Raina sympathised with her as she rubbed her back gently.

"He's lucky, you know" she begun solemnly again referring to Noah "He gets to feel nothing; no pain, no suffering, no nothing..."

"Addie..."

"I would give anything to be him right now." She begun crying as she buried her face in the sheets with Raina looking on helplessly. She wanted to help her friend but she was at loss on what to do. The sound of the door closing caused her to look back, it was Rosa. She looked better than Adeline but it was clear in her eyes she was exhausted. She had to be the strong one to get things done. She gestured for Raina to step outside with her so they could talk.

"How're you holding up?" Raina asked as soon as they got out.

"I've been better" she replied tiredly.

"Have you heard anything from the detective?"

She shook her head "No, not yet."

"What about Benjie's funeral?"

"Huh...Carla's flying in today to help with the arrangements"

"I can help as well"

"Thank ..."

"Noah! Noah!" they heard Adeline scream from the room and rushed inside. She was trembling as he was shaking violently from a seizure. Three people ran in surrounding him and yelling all sorts of words to each other. The three women were asked to vacate the room. Adeline went into a state of shock and kept mumbling inaudible words.

"You need to snap out of it" Rosa snapped and shook her. "He's not going to die. He can't die, he just can't!" She nodded slowly as she buried her face in the older woman's bosom crying. Raina came closer and rubbed her back gently offering words of comfort. The doctor's presence broke their comfort circle.
"Is he awake?" she asked him expectantly

"No! I'm sorry, he had a seizure. He's stabilised now but it's still not certain when he'll wake up."

"Thank you, doctor."

"I think it's best you go home and rest. You look really exhausted, Miss Quaye." he suggested to Adeline who could be easily be mistaken as a ghost at that point with how pale she was looking. "I'll call you if anything comes up."

"I'm fine" Adeline replied in a tone which suggested otherwise. "I need to stay by him"

"We'll take of it, Dr. Larsen, don't worry about it." Raina interjected to which he nodded.

"I'll see you ladies later." with that he retreated back to wherever he came from.

"Okay, we are going to go home now,Adeline." Raina said sternly since pleading wasn't going to work.

"No, I'm not!" she stubbornly refused as she made a move for Noah's room.

"Yes, you are. You've got to stop playing the victim. Think of how this is affecting Rosa. She's also grieving yet she has to pretend to be strong because of you. Look at her, don't you feel bad?" Adeline took a proper look at Rosa and noticed the tired look in her eyes. As much she hated to admit it, Raina was right. She had to be the strong one. Without another word, she headed for the entrance with the others trailing closely behind.

      Raina drove them home and helped Adeline to her room. She watched her as she stripped out of her clothing and went into the bathroom before leaving to make lunch for them. As soon as she got out downstairs, a blonde woman burst through the doors with a suitcase. She knew instantly it was Carla. She looked a lot like Rosa.

"Who are you?" Carla asked with a confused look.

"I'm Raina, Adeline's friend." she replied with a smile.

"Where is she?"

"Having a bath. Rosa is in here somewhere"

"Carla!" they both turned to see Rosa heading towards them. Carla met her halfway pulling her into an embrace.

"How is he?" she asked in a shaky voice. She had been shocked to her core by the events happening.

"Still the same. He had a seizure today but he's stable now"

"Oh God!" a few sobs escaped her lips as she embraced Rosa again. Looking up, she saw Adeline standing on the staircase. "Adeline..." she left Rosa's arms and ran to embrace her as tears flowed freely down their faces. "I'm so sorry!" After what seemed like an eternity, they pulled back and descended the rest of the stairs. Raina already started lunch so they joined her in the kitchen. Carla offered to help while Adeline sat at the counter looking gloomy as usual. They begun having a conversation and soon Carla got them laughing about some embarassing situations she got herself into in Japan.

"You should've seen his parents face..." she recounted but stopped when she saw the look on Adeline's face.

"What's wrong, Ade?"

"I haven't told my parents yet."she replied guiltly as she stood up and grabbed her phone." I'll be back". She left the kitchen to her room plopping down on the bed. She called her mum who answered after the second ring.

"So she lives!" Joycelyn exclaimed sarcastically expecting a meaningless apology as usual but all she heard was sobs and sniffs. "Ade, what's wrong? Why're you crying?" The crying only got louder putting her in distress mode. "Please stop crying and tell me what it is"

"Benjie! He's..."  she choked out

"What happened to Benjie, Adeline? Tell me!" Joycelyn demanded, panic already creeping up on her.

She hesitated once more before saying "He's dead, mum. My son's dead!"

"What...how..." she struggled to say as tears gripped her.

"They were in a car accident"

"They?"

"He and Noah"

"Oh God, how is he?"

"He's in a coma..."

"How did this happen?" Adeline managed to stop crying long enough to recount what she knew so far concerning the accident as her mum listened in tears. This was not what she expected to hear at all and it broke her heart. Their happy family would never be the same.

********

She lay quietly in the dark listening to the crickets' melodies. It wasn't supposed to feel like this. Revenge was supposed to be sweet but this feeling of guilt was highly uncalled for. She shook her head frowning

"They deserved it" she reasoned  with  herself and smiled as her guilty feeling disappeared into thin air  "They deserved that and more."

___________________________________

Thanks for reading...^_^