Knocking Open Doors

"Oh my God!" Adeline screamed excitedly as she stared down at her phone.

"What is it now?" Besty asked slightly annoyed.

"What? What happened?" Eli asked frantically pacing. Besty and Adeline looked at her like she was crazy for a moment before breaking into fits of laughter. She had run out of the bathroom with lather still on her body and a towel wrapped around her torso. "I thought this place was on fire or something."

"I...I just received a message from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, that's all" Adeline explained in between laughs. She hissed and entered the bathroom again.

"So what did it say?" Besty inquired as she sat next to her.

"Well guess who just got an internship there?"

"Oh my God, really..." They both yelled in excitement. "I'm so happy for you"

"Of course! Even I'm happy for me." She showed her the email while beaming. There was a reason for their excitement. Getting an internship with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs was very difficult and a once in a lifetime opportunity. It was exactly what she needed to upgrade her draft résumé. "I need to call home to give them the good news." She had already put her mum on speed dial so just she pressed one and the call was put through. After a few rings, she answered.

"Hello, Addie!" Jocelyn, her mum, greeted cheerfully.

"Hello, Mummy! Guess what?" she responded all giddy.

"Uhh...I don't know. Tell me"

"I got the internship"

"Wow! Congratulations!" she sensed the pride in her mum's voice and couldn't be any happier. "Wait till your dad hears this. He'll be so proud."

"Yeah, he would, wouldn't he?"

"Of course. It's one of those rare opportunities which you thank God for. How are your finals so far?"

"It's been cool."

"I hope that means something good."

She laughed softly, "Sure, mother! Anyway I've got to go. Say hi to dad and the crazy twins for me."

"Will do, dear. Bye!"

"Bye, mum!" She hung up and laid flat on her bed feeling content. She turned her head towards Besty who was buried in a book on her lap. "When's your next paper?"

********

"Three whole months of boredom and missing you girls. That's a lot to deal with." Eli whined. She had opted to not do internship this time.

"Just find a part time job or something" Besty remarked as she placed her folded clothes into her suitcase.

"No way! I don't even get why Addie's so happy. What's the use of working with no pay?"

"I'll be given allowance." Adeline chipped in looking up from her suitcase to catch the sceptical look on her friend's face.

"Oh please... what is 100 cedis going to do? If I were..."

"Stop being a whiny cat and help me carry this" Besty snapped, finally getting her to stop talking.

"You're only saying that because you get to spend your holidays basking in the summer heat of Colorado. You're damn lucky. So when do you leave?"

"15th..." Eli had gone over to her side to help with the suitcase, a task that was proving to be difficult.

Adeline watched her friends as they struggled to lift the suitcase. She chuckled and shook her head at them. She was really going to miss them during the holidays. Besty was spending hers in the US with her aunt and Eli lived in a completely different city. She just hoped her work made up for the void she was going to feel.

"You know you could help instead of staring." Eli sarcastically said. She left her spot by her bed and joined them to lift the suitcase.

After hours of packing, they were ready to leave the next day. Adeline suggested they have a movie marathon the entire night. The others agreed and prepared snacks for their movie night however by the time the second movie was halfway through, they were all curled up and fast asleep each dreaming of their pending vacation.

The five hour journey to Accra had been filled with laughter and reminiscing however it was time to say their delayed goodbyes as they stood at the bus terminal. They shared one last group hug getting teary eyed and all. An onlooker would imagine they were never going to see each other again but that was just their dramatic nature. They parted ways with Eli hitching a ride with Besty whose dad had come to pick up. Adeline, on the other hand, hitched a taxi ride home. Twenty minutes later, she stood in front of her door and knocked. She watched as Ethan, one of the twins, opened the door slightly then wider when he realized it was her. He smirked and turned to look inside.

"Nathan!" he called out "She's home!"

一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一

'Attachment' is a sort of internship for university students in Ghana. They usually don't pay students for the work done but rather fill a report form which will earn them credits in school.

'Cedis'- the currency of Ghana

'Accra'- capital city