First Day To The Beginning

Her palms were sweaty and her heart thumping as she stood in front of the tall grey twin buildings. Today was going to be her first day and she was nervous as hell already. She took a deep breath and begun the short trek into the building. She made to the reception desk where a young woman sat busily typing away on her computer.

She swallowed the lump forming in her throat and smiled, "Hello!" she greeted.

The woman looked up at her with a somewhat forced smile causing her to get more anxious, "How may I help you?"

"Uh... could you direct me to the administrative office? I'm the new intern."

"Oh yeah, wait a minute." She picked up the handset on her desk and speed dialled someone. She spoke for a few minutes then hung up. "Okay, take the elevator to the third floor. There's an office at the end of the hall. A lady will see to you."

"Okay, thank you."

"You're welcome and I hope you enjoy working here." This time, she was offered a genuine smile and in a way it set her heart at ease just a little. She took the elevator to the third floor and went to the office she was directed to. She knocked and entered to see a middle aged woman seated behind a desk. She crossed the room to her room and greeted.

"You must be Adeline Quaye" the woman pleasantly responded finally setting her heart at ease. So far it seemed to be a friendly environment.

"Yes, please!" she confidently affirmed. She took a seat opposite her when it was offered and played with her nails on her laps.

"Great! I'm Martha by the way. Not ma'am or aunty, just Martha."

"Okay...Martha"

"Mr. Aniston isn't in yet but wait a moment while I call him." Adeline nodded in response and took in the office décor as she made the call. It wasn't huge and held minimal furniture. There were glass paned windows to the side and next to it was a filing cabinet. A mahogany door was opposite which she assumed led to Mr. Aniston's office. Martha's call had ended and she turned to a once again nervous Adeline. "Well, you'll be working at the Bureau, dear. One of the assistants is on his way here. Don't be nervous and just work hard. It'll be fun, I promise." She encouraged. Just then a man peered his head through the door. "...Oh Peter, come in. This is Adeline, Adeline...Peter"

"Nice to meet you." Adeline said turning to face him. He was tall, well-muscled man with a clean shaven face and a close shaven head but he had a friendly face.

"Likewise. Now come on. We got a lot to do." he said already turning on his feet and exiting the room. Adeline offered Martha a thank you smile and followed him out.

"So where are you from?" he asked along the way trying to make small talk. He could see she was nervous from how hard she clutched her bag. She scrunched her face wondering what exactly he was asking. "I mean school..." he elaborated

"Tech."

"I see" They fell silent again and continued their walk to a large office space with a number of cubicles. "Here we are! Welcome to the Bureau." A few people sat at their desks while some loitered. She listened to him give a brief job description of what they did at the Bureau as they made their way through the maze of people and cubicles to the other end of the room where there was an empty cubicle with a computer. "This will be your working space for the next few months. Since today is your first day, you'll be understudying me so I could know what jobs to assign you. Most of the workers are not in yet so I'll introduce you later.

"Yes, sir!" she respectfully responded.

He snickered, "Just call me Peter. I'm not the boss around here." She nodded and watched him leave. She then sat in her new swivel chair grinning. She placed her head on the desk and gave a stifled scream in excitement.

Half an hour later, they had gone through the required introductions and a short tour. She had even met the director of the bureau, Mr. Hayford. He was a stout man with a pot belly but his friendly personality made up of his appearance. He joked around with her even offering her his help whenever she needed it.

So far, this place seemed to offer her the best experience and she couldn't help but feel so elated. She was going to work hard and hopefully, if they liked her well enough, she could land a job there after she graduated. She smiled sheepishly to herself.

一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一

'Quaye'-pronounced same way as "bay"