Hearts Heal

The airport was less crowdy than normal as Adeline stood patiently waiting for her family. She really  needed them at that point and they had been more than willing to offer that support. She looked up at the board and saw that their plane had landed. It wasn't long before she saw the two familiar faces of Ethan and Nathan dragging their luggage behind them. They smiled widely when they noticed her and ran to hug her tightly. At that moment, she felt more peaceful than ever.

"Wow! you two have really grown tall and handsome" she teased.

"Of course" Ethan replied with a smirk. Before he would've responded with a smart remark but he couldn't bring himself to do anything silly now. Nathan pulled him aside as their parents and Ben came over. Adeline smiled sadly as her dad pulled her into an endearing hug.

"I'm so sorry." he sympathised rubbing her back gently before pulling back. "How are you doing?"

Still sporting that smile she nodded, "I've been better." Next came her mum who looked ready to cry. "I really missed you, mum"

"Me too! Are you sure you're fine? You don't need to pretend around us."

"I'm fine" she replied with a chuckle and hugged her. "I'm so happy you're here." Finally turning to Ben, she threw her arms around him without uttering a word. He was her neutral ground, a place where nothing at all could hurt or make her angry. She needed that place now more than anything. He in turn, accepted her hug wholeheartedly. He was willing to be just about anything for her. When she finally pulled back, his shirt was tear stained.

"We're going to get through this, I promise" he assured her with a soft smile. She nodded and sniffed.

Turning to the others, she smiled widely saying in her famous british accent "Let's go". She led them out to her car in the parking lot with a lot of bickering between her and the boys about who could fake a british accent better.

       The ride home had been a funny and happy one. Ethan had blurted out Nathan's crush on a girl so it had turned into a teasing session, one that still continued as they dragged their luggage to the door. Before they got to the door, Carla had opened it and looked a bit surprised to see Adeline laughing heartily. She quickly composed herself and put on a welcoming smile.

"Everyone,this is Carla, Noah's sister" Adeline begun  introducing. "Carla, these are my parents..."

"It's great to finally meet you" Carla said surprising them with hug.

"It's nice to meet you as well." Joycelyn pleasantly replied.Continuing with the introductions, Adeline gestured to the others and ushered them all inside. Joycelyn looked quite impressed with its interior

"You have a beautiful home..." she complimented

"I know right! I said the same thing the first time we came here. Can we not leave?" Ethan chirped in earning a slap on the head from Nathan."What!"

"Shut up"

"You two should quit it" Jonathan scolded to which they heeded and retreated to the back.

"Where's Rosa?" Adeline finally asked Carla. She was home before she left for the airport.

"She's gone to the hospital."

"Oh!...Mum, you and dad should follow me. I'll show you to your rooms." she stated again leading the way upstairs but before she got far, the doorbell rang. She looked over to Carla who just shrugged before going to answer it. It was Melanie dressed in black.

"Oh Adeline, I heard what happened and I'm so sorry..." she begun dramatically but stopped when she saw their audience. Adeline just sighed not liking her presence one bit.