Reunion Gone Wrong

Rosa and Kieran stood at the threshold of their home to welcome their grandkids and great grandson whom they'd heard so much about. As soon as they got out of the car, she exclaimed when she saw Benjie and looked over to her husband who had a strained look. She sighed and hoped he behaved. She knew he didn't like the fact Noah had a kid with a black girl. She would've thought the same if not for her recent close relationship with a black woman. Her perception had changed completely since then. Unable to wait for them to get to the door, she rushed over to them pulling Carla in a hug since it'd been so long she saw her. She passed hugs around until she got to Adeline who was carrying Benjie.

"Oh dear" she said pulling them both for a hug. Adeline was taken aback at her display of affection. She had been skeptical about meeting his family and it seemed they were okay.

"It's nice to finally meet you, Mrs. Hedlund." she said feeling a bit at ease.

"Oh please call me Rosa. We're practically family." she replied taking Benjie." And this is definitely little Noah. He looks so much like Noah when he was young."

"Yeah, I've been told."

"Come with me, dear." she did as she was told and followed Rosa after she grabbed Benjie's bag from the car. She saw the old man happily talking to Carla and Noah but he suddenly frowned lightly when they got closer. She became apprehensive hoping he didn't voice out his disapproval. She had already had her fill from Melanie.

"Gramps, this is Adeline" Noah introduced.

"It's nice to meet you, Mr Hedlund" she said with an outstretched arm. He looked at her a little longer before accepting her handshake.

"It's good to see you." he offered with a nod.

"and this is my son, Benjie." Noah added

"Isn't he adorable?" Rosa cooed but all she got was a strained smile. Deciding to ignore his behaviour, she invited them all inside to the living area. Before Adeline would've been awestruck about their mansion but she was kind of used to it after all she lived in one but she still felt the need to compliment Rosa.

"You have a really lovely home." she said to her as they took a seat.

"Thank you, dear." she replied. Two maids entered with a tray of tea and crumpets and served it to them. Benjie was given sweet tea and vanilla cake. Adeline sipped hers and made conversation. After awhile, Rosa led the ladies into her study together with Benjie to continue their bonding without the men. As soon as they were out of earshot, Noah turned to Kieran with a serious look.

"You didn't need to make it so obvious,gramps" he said

"What're talking about?" Kieran asked with a raised brow

"Adeline. You made her extremely uncomfortable."

"Uncomfortable? Did you stop to think that I would be uncomfortable too?"

"Why would you be uncomfortable?"

"Let me see, you knock up a black girl and want us to play house with her and her kid. You could've just paid for child support and end it there."

"Are you serious right now!" he exclaimed in disbelief. "You would prefer I abandon my son"

"Offering child support is not abandonment. How do you think investors would react when this gets out. Who would want to trust a married president with a black mistress and a bastard. It'll be bad news."

"You did not just call my son a bastard, gramps."

"What would you rather I call a kid out of wedlock?" with that he grabbed his walking stick and walked out. Noah shook his head in disbelief. The man he had idolised his entire life had just proved to an uncaring racist. He groaned and stood up. He heard shuffling as if someone was trying to get away. Following the noise, he caught sight of Adeline opening the door to the study. She looked over to him before entering. He groaned again in frustration, the look she had showed she had overheard their conversation.

"Damn!" he cursed not knowing how to start apologising to her. He went over to join them in the study expecting to see her gloomy but got the opposite. She was looking cheery as if she hadn't just heard the insults rained on her a few moments ago. Now he was the one acting gloomy. Their visit was cut short due to Kieran's attitude. Noah couldn't stand it and neither could Rosa nor Carla. Rosa apologised on her husband's behalf to Adeline and promised to give him a scolding but she asked her to go easy on him and that she wasn't bothered. Rosa gave her hug and promised to visit. She gave Benjie a kiss and an ice cream cup.

"Thank you, granma!" he said excitedly.

"You're welcome and I promise to bring more when I come visit,okay!" He nodded frantically and hugged her once more. Noah tucked him in his seat ensuring everything was set well. Walking over to Rosa, he hugged her one more time after Carla did and drove out of the compound.

The drive back to London was quiet. Benjie fell asleep an hour into the journey and Adeline followed suite. Only Carla stayed awake but made little conversation with him. It was a little late by the time they got back. Luckily everyone except Benjie was awake. Adeline had made an attempt to carry him but Noah stopped her.

"Please take him inside" he said to Carla. She agreed and carried his sleeping form inside. Taking a deep breath, he begun "I know you overheard gramps and I talking and I'm really sorry. He was wrong about you and Benjie and I really hope you would forget about it."

"I already did, Noah. Honestly your wife kinda prepped me for this." she replied nonchalantly

"What do you mean?"

"All that he said, I already heard from her and honestly I'm done caring. If your grandfather doesn't like me, fine. It's not as if we're together and I'm seeking to marry you. Even if I told you to stay away from Benjie and I for the sake of your company it'll blow up in my face so Noah, don't bear your gramps a grudge for our sake. We're not worth it" Though Noah did not like what she said at the end he decided not to push further. Instead he hugged her but she didn't hug him back. She was done caring about him too. It only brought her pain and misery like she was feeling now but she wasn't going let him see her breakdown. He pulled back and walked into the house with her to say his farewells.

Two weeks later, Noah heard the bad news about Kieran's death. He had died in his sleep from a heart attack. Rosa had sounded so devastated on the phone when she told him so he had Carla go to her. He had taken it bad as well and even left his office after the call. Even with their little quarrel, he loved his gramps to death after all he was the only father figure in his life and fathers argue with their sons all the time, right? How long he had stayed looking at the horizon, he didn't know but it was already late. He couldn't bring himself to go back to his empty home since Melanie had gone on a business trip to Dublin so he went to his second home. He rang the bell once and leaned on the side wall. Adeline opened it and the sympathy look she gave him cracked him. He broke down in tears.

"I'm so sorry." she consoled as he cried in her arms.

-----------------

The end of a great man is always painful. My condolences to the Hedlund family. Thanks for reading... :-(