Polite Gestures

The tension in the room was so intense, it made everyone hot especially Adeline. She knew this was a bad idea but she had no choice but to follow her dad. He had asked her to invite Noah over for dinner to as he put it 'get to know him better'. She had dreaded telling him but he seemed cool with it so she just hoped everything went okay. They sat around the table and had begun eating after a prayer. Joycelyn had gone out of her way to prepare a lot of dishes.

"This is great, Mrs. Quaye" Noah complimented after taking a spoonful of an orange looking rice.

"Thank you, that's jollof rice. I'm really glad you like it." Adeline scoffed softly but he heard it and turned to her with a smirk that  just irritated her the more. The rest of the dinner went smoothly but that hardly made her relax. The interrogation was about to start, it might even make one think they were getting married.

"Mr. Hedlund..."Joe begun, addressing Noah as they sat in the hall with Benjie seated on his laps playing with his Ipad "What're your plans for Benjie since you seem to want him with you in London."

"With all due respect sir, I think we can give him a better life in London..." he answered effortlessly.

"Because you're rich"

He nodded, "Partly so"

"Hmm...what of your wife. Does she know about him."

"No, I haven't told her yet."

"Why?"

"For reasons I can't really say."

"She would be against it, won't she?"

"Honestly I don't know sir but I'm not gonna deny my son a better life because of her. That I definitely won't do."

"You keep saying a better life, what type of life do you think he's getting here?"

"A good life, sir but I don't think it's right for a kid to be raised by a part of his family."

"Really, what's wrong with that?"

"I was raised like that and it might not  show but it had a negative impact on me." The room went quiet for a while before Joe spoke again

"You know what I think, we should go to court for this."

"Dad!" Adeline exclaimed looking bewilderedly at him and so was Joycelyn.

"I understand" Noah replied calmly

"Joe..." Joycelyn begun before he cut her off.

"I don't think we should just ship our daughter off without a fight.I'm sorry Noah but I don't think you have the right to decide my daughter and grandson's fate on your own."

"We're not going to court for this, Dad. We don't have that money or time." Adeline anxiously said. She knew this would turn out bad

"Maybe yes, but we are settling this in court and that's final."

"Dad..."

"That is not a problem for me, sir.."

"Noah..."

"Then that is sett..."

"Would you all just shut up?" she finally exploded. "This is my son we are taking about, not yours dad."

"Yes but you are my daughter and I'm not sending you off with a married man" Joe harshly replied

"I'm not a child anymore, dad. Sorry but I'm not obligated to do your every bidding especially when it has got to do with my son."

"Really, so what are you saying?"

"What I'm saying is..." she paused and took in a deep breath "Noah and I are gonna leave right now. I'll tell you our decision when I get back." She walked out without another word while Noah said a quick goodnight to her parents and followed her out. They walked to his rented car and drove off. She sobbed quietly the whole drive back to his hotel.

"Adeline." he called softly making her turn towards him with bloodshot eyes.

"It was a disaster, wasn't it?" she asked "I'm sorry you had to see that but then again I shouldn't be because it is all your fault, Noah. I'm sure you are satisfied now, right? You got what you wanted."

"Adeline..." he reached out but she cringed away from him and got out of the car. He got out as well and went after her before she got far. "Stop!" she ignored him and kept on walking. "Stop, goddammit" she finally did and turned towards him.

"What?" she spat

"You don't get to put the blame on me, okay. After all, it was you who left without saying anything and hid my son from me for two years." he lost control on the anger and pain he had kept bottled inside for three years.

"Noah..."

"No, don't try to apologise because it's useless. I'm not going to change my mind about Benjie and since your father has made the choice you so seem to be struggling with, I will see you in court be it here or in London." He turned to leave, his anger still raging in him. He needed a drink, a strong one at that. He got to his room and took of his jacket tossing it carelessly on the couch. He poured himself a glass of vodka from the bottle he ordered the day before. Just then he heard a knock and decided to ignore it until he heard his name. It was Adeline, all the more reason for him to ignore it. He wanted to hurt and kiss her so bad at the same time.

"Noah, please open the door." she pleaded from the other side. He gave in and opened it for her. She walked in looking vulnerable and clouding his judgement. He knew he couldn't stay away from her, not when he was a bit intoxicated. He went over to her in two strides and kissed her roughly. She was startled at first but didn't pull back. The anger, pain ,frustrations and hunger of them both was put into this one heated kiss. They finally pulled apart after an eternity leaning on their foreheads.

"Fine, We'll move with you to London" she whispered and kissed him again.

______________________________________

So this is the best I can do though I don't feel right about it. Anyhoo...I'm in mourning right now cause more than 170 people died yesterday in a fuel station explosion not so near my home. It is so devastating. Please help me pray for them. Thanks for reading...  :-(