Days Ahead

"Guess who?" a voice playfully called out from behind the door making Adeline smile.

"Come in, Ben. It's not locked" she replied as she sat up. He opened the door slightly poking his head in.

"You're alone?"

"Yep"

"Ok." he entered with box of pizza and a big bottle of Sprite.

"You brought pizza?"

"Yep, I figured you two would be hungry."

"Haha, that we are." she said patting her six month belly. She tried to get up to go for plates but he stopped her.

"Don't worry, I'll get them" he placed the box by her and went for three plates and cups.

"Why did you take three plates?"

"Have you forgotten we're three?" he said amusedly looking at her belly.

"You're crazy" she smiled genuinely at him. He was the only friend who didn't make her pregnancy seem so bad. Even Besty and Eli looked a bit judgemental towards her sometimes but not Ben. He always made her feel better on those days she felt down. She had even told him who the father was and he sympathised with her offering to be the father figure for her unborn child. He seemed to bring some normalcy to her overturned life. He handed her a plate with a slice of pizza and a cup of sprite. He placed another slice on the extra plate and pushed it towards her

"Junior, since mum won't feed you. I will ok."

"Haha! Say thank you to Uncle Ben, junior"

"Great. So what were you doing before I came?" Adeline looked at him then at the books in front of her

"What do you think?"

"Well you could've been doing something else"

"Really, Ben. I was studying okay."

"Ok if you say so." She chuckled and picked up her phone to read texts. Ben just stared at her, like really stare at her. He had feelings for her but was a bit scared to tell her considering her pregnancy and the fact that she was possibly still in love with her child's father. His friends called him crazy for being with her but he didn't care. He wanted to be part of her and the child's life even if it wasn't the way he wanted. Patience can move mountains they say and he was a patient man.

"What're you smiling for?" Adeline asked breaking his thoughts.

"Oh nothing!" he replied as he laid on his back.

"I will really miss you when you leave, Ben"

"Me too but don't worry, for you I'd become a teaching assistant so we can leave together"

"You and your crazy ideas."

"I'm serious. When I'm gone who's gonna take care of you and junior, huh?"

"You got a point. None of my friends are crazy rich like you"

"Haha, very funny" She burst out laughing and soon he joined in. "Anyway when are you due?"

"The doctor says early April"

"So that's next two and half months"

"Yeah."

"Cool! I'd be around then"

"Yeah but you'd be probably busy with projects and all"

"Please, I could never be too busy for the arrival for my nephew"

"What's makes you think it's a boy?"

"I just know"

"I hope it's a boy too"

"So what're you gonna name him?"

"Benjamin Noah Quaye. I'll add the day name when he's born"

"You're gonna name him after me. Now I'm touched." he faked shedding tears making her laugh.

"Haha, stop being a drama queen."

"Let me be, it's not everyday you get a child named after you." Adeline gave in to laughter.

  The months went by quickly and soon enough the finals were beginning. Adeline had woken early since she had a paper that morning. She gathered her stuff and walked slowly to the exam hall. Being in her last month wasn't easy at all. She got tired easily and was cranky most of the time. She joined the others outside waiting until they were ushered in. She took her seat like everyone else. The papers were given out and they were told to start work. About an hour later, an invigilator came to stand beside her with an attendance sheet for her to sign. He looked down noticing water from her under her chair.

"Young lady, what's that?" he asked cluelessly. She looked down and panicked

"Oh God, my water broke." Just then her first contraction begun causing her to scream out. Two other invigilators came to her aid and rushed her to the hospital. She was taken to a dimly lit room and helped onto the bed.

"Between 1-10, what's your pain?" a nurse asked

"9" she groaned. The pain was unbearable

"Sorry, the doctor'll be here soon" Just then a woman entered and addressed the nurse.

"How far apart are her contractions?"

"10 minutes"

"Okay. Miss Quaye, I'm gonna need you to breathe slowly." Adeline begun taking in short breaths. "That's good, slow and steady" Adeline struggled to do this but she tried her best. She needed to be strong for her son. A sharp pain shot across her abdomen making her yell out. 

"Oh God!"

"You're gonna have to push now,Adeline." She nodded and pushed hard. "Good, now push again" This went on for about for about half an hour but still the baby wasn't out. She almost gave up but the doctor encouraged her to push one last time. She used her last might to push and this time she heard the shrill cry of a baby.

"Congratulations, Adeline. It's a boy." was the last thing she heard before she passed out.