What Good News?

She had finally heeded her friends' advice and visited the hospital but now she wished she hadn't. "God, no!" she mumbled, her eyes swelling up with tears. It wasn't supposed to happen like this. She shook her head in denial. "Oh God!"

"Miss. Quaye..." Dr. Tiyah called softly and handed her a tissue. She was used to seeing reactions like this from her patients especially young ones like Adeline. "I know this isn't good news to you but please don't see it as something so bad. Bad enough to do something you might regret later."

She looked up with a frown, confused before it dawned on her. She shook her head frantically, "No, I'm not going to abort it. One silly mistake is enough." She assured the doctor who just nodded. Her parents were definitely going to be disappointed but an abortion could warrant death on her head, figuratively speaking.

"Like I said before, you're 11 weeks pregnant. I'm going to prescribe some supplements you need to take and some suggestions on your food intake." Adeline listened half-heartedly at the rundown of things she was supposed to do as an expecting mother. So many things ran through her mind, none of which ended happily ever after. What was she going to do? Her parents would be probably be mad, their model daughter wasn't as virtuous as they thought. She didn't think she could take the disappointment on her dad's face. It would break his heart. She was worried about all that but what bothered her the most was what she was going to do about Noah. "Adeline!"

She looked straight at the doctor with a worried look, "Yes?" She was given a piece of paper with a number of prescriptions on them.

"You can get these at the dispensary and you would have to come by every month for routine check-up. I wrote your return date on the sheet. We would do an ultra-scan then..." She paused for a bit, feeling the need to give her a personal advice, "Please tell someone about this immediately, Adeline. It doesn't help to keep it to yourself. Maybe the father is best to start with..."

"Okay. Thanks, Dr. Tiyah. I'll see you next month." Adeline said as they shook hands then walked out. Everything was a blur as she allowed the doctor's words play over in her head. Could she really just call Noah and tell him he was going to be a father, especially when she disappeared on him. He could be mad and even call her a liar or gold digger. No, the father wasn't an option for her now or maybe ever. She had to do this on her own, with the help of her family if they were willing to. She stumbled into the bathroom and stood before the mirror. She lifted her shirt, staring down at her stomach. She rubbed on it as a tears run down her face. "Wow!" she breathed out. There was a person growing inside of her. As unexpected as this was, she was overwhelmed with a feeling that wasn't entirely sadness. A woman came in and smiled at her before entering one of the stalls. She pulled down her shirt and begun washing her hands and face. The woman later came out and stood next to her.

"You must be happy. Congratulations!" she beamed, looking and probably feeling more excited than Adeline was.

"Thanks!" she muttered and walked out. If only she was happy.

******

It was raining heavily outside and that wasn't helping anything especially his mood. Melanie, oblivious to his foul mood, continued to ran her hands down his broad chest, feeling him up. Noah sighed and stood up from his chair to her annoyance.

"Leave, Melanie. I want to be alone." he stated harshly. She rolled her eyes and walked over to the long couch. This was getting old however she was sex starved right now and if she had to act the victim to get him to make senseless love to her, so be it.

She walked over to his side and ran her tongue seductively around his earlobe.

"Just leave!" he bellowed, causing her to jump a little. So much for trying, she walked over to the couch again, grabbed her bag and left without a word. He grabbed a bottle of scotch from his hidden drawer together with a glass. He filled the glass and downed the raw drink at a go. He scrunched his face as it burned his throat and poured himself another one. He was doing fine, really fine until things were not going his way. One, a deal to buy up a start-up company was threatening to fall through. The owners were beginning to get on his nerves with their unreasonable demands. He could let it go but he wasn't a man to lose so easily. That was reason enough to be this frustrated on such a night, he thought as he downed the next shot but it wasn't and he refused to admit the real reason. There was no way he was this worked up over a girl, he had convinced himself. It'd make him sound weak and foolish. They had their fun and had moved on. He believed he had since he was doing quite well, immersing himself in his work but on some days like this, when he allowed his mind to wander, the anger and distress came back to him in a hundred fold.

It annoyed him to death that she had become an invisible liability. He couldn't be without another woman without comparing them to her. It was like he was the virgin when they were together. She had taken something he hadn't given, his heart and he wasn't sure he even wanted it back. Being prideful as he was, he wasn't going to search for her though he easily could. She had made the decision to forget about him and it was probably time he did same. To get over a woman, you need to get under another. As silly as it sounded, it made sense. Maybe it was time he stopped looking and accepted what was before him. With this conviction, he grabbed his phone from his desk and dialed a number.

"What?" a voice answered with a slight hint of annoyance.

"Hey! Mel. Let's get married..."