Mumbo - Oneshot - An Unexpected Sight

Contains: Fluff
_______________________________________

"Did I leave my comparators in there Y/n?" Mumbo asks from the next room.
"Not that I can see." You reply, flicking open the only reachable chest.
In the background you hear Mumbo searching through his own things.

"Oh, nevermind, I found them." He chuckles.

"Were they in the wrong chest?" You ask, already knowing the answer.
"Definitely not, I would never do such a thing." His words may say that, but his tone of voice says they were definitely in the wrong chest.

Hearing him giggle to himself in the next room causes you to quietly do the same.
It's so typical of Mumbo to, even with his unnecessarily large storage system, put things where they don't belong.
Redstoner or not he always ends up with at least a small chest monster, no matter how much he tries to keep things organised with his fancy auto sorter.

You're sat in the storage system in a chair that is far too comfortable for a room for sorting items, sketching away in your notebook.
Usually you'd have sat outside to draw, but today Mumbo had asked for your company while working on a hidden room where he could keep his valuables.

You hadn't been sure if you wanted to initially, but the look he gave you was all the convincing you needed.
You wished you'd have been able to capture it, although you're sure you'll see the puppy eyes again.

"How's it coming along?" You ask him.
"It's almost finished on this side now, all I have to work on is making sure the door actually works then linking it all up at the front." Mumbo replies.

You hum to acknowledge his words, shading the central structure in your sketch.

You hear the pistons go off once again, a quiet cheer from Mumbo making you smile.
The door is up and running. You hear the pistons go off a couple more times, likely as an inspection to make sure it's not going to malfunction after a few uses.

"I've done it." Mumbo's voice is full of joy, "Now for the lock." His temporary celebration ends, the pistons activating one more time.

"I can't wait for you to see this door in its full glory." Mumbo states, you feel his weight on the top of the chair as he leans over you.
You don't look up at him, too focused in on the finer details in your sketch.

"That's looking really good, I can't wait to see it finished." He places a small kiss on the top of your head before moving away, beginning to rummage through a number of chests.

Once you've finished the few smaller pieces you look up and over at Mumbo.
You had wanted to say something, but the words don't seem to come out.
In fact they disappear from your mind altogether.

You've never seen Mumbo like this, and it more than catches you off guard.
He's leant on the top of a chest, hands either side of the blueprint for the hidden door.

His jacket is folded, placed neatly on the crafting table to his left.
His shirt sleeves are rolled up perfectly to just above the elbow, exposing his usually covered forearms.

His hair is disheveled, you can see it's fallen from its usually perfectly styled place.
His shirt is, somehow, still tucked in perfectly, not so much as a scuff on his trousers or his shoes.

"Are you okay?" Your eyes snap up to meet his, a small smile rests on his lips as he walks over.
"Yeah I just.. I-"

"You what?" Mumbo's smile turns into a smirk as walks past, placing multiple buttons in a circle on the wall.
"I was, well. You see there was this thing that I was thinking about, but then I got distracted and now I'm still distracted and I don't remember." Your words are fast, unfiltered.
Whatever comes to your mind being said with little thought.

You watch every move he makes, in awe as you do.
You've never seen him working before.
You didn't expect him to look like.. that.

"Did you say something?" he asks, eyes meeting yours again.
"I- no?" He chuckles quietly, walking over and standing in front of you.

"You've gone all red Y/n."
"I have?" You mutter.
Mumbo nods, offering you his hand.

You place down your sketchpad and pencil, allowing Mumbo to pull you up.

He wraps his arms around you, "I didn't realise you felt so strongly about me." He jokes, swaying gently from side to side with you.
"Well, you know.." You shrug, leaning in to him further.

The two of you laugh quietly, Mumbo cupping your cheek with his hand. "I want you to be the first to properly open the door."

"What? Mumbo.. I can't do that, you've worked so hard on it, I can't take that moment away from you." His expression is soft, full of adoration.
"Then we'll do it together."

Mumbo guides you over to the circle of buttons, taking your hand in his.
He guides you from button to button, entering the passcode to the hidden room.
"Last one, are you ready?" Mumbo asks.
"Are you sure you don't want to do it yourself?" you ask. You don't want to steal the moment from him.
"I am."

With that Mumbo gently pushes the button with your hand.
The two of you wait in silence for the few seconds it takes for the signal to travel and the door to finally open.

And it does, the wall moves back, opening up to a whole new room.
"That was incredible." You turn to Mumbo, who picks you up and spins you around.
The smile on his face is huge, hair almost covering his eyes when he puts you down.

You push his dark locks from his face, his eyes shine bright with joy.
"I'm so proud of myself for that." He laughs playfully.
"I'm proud of you too, Mumbo, your redstone never fails to impress."

"I'm glad I got to share the moment of first seeing it work with you, you should keep me company while I work more often, I really enjoyed it."
"I did too, as for joining you more often.. well," You say, looking him up and down, "I think I just might."