Iskall - Oneshot - Diorite Shrine

Contains: a little Fluff, a touch of Angst
_______________________________________

After a few days out building farms seeing the entrance to the cave is a relief.
It feels like forever since you've been here, you've missed your home.

You've missed Iskall too, your partner in romance and often in crime.
Days without them and you're more than ready to be in his arms again.

You're careful to slow down as you glide toward the entrance, just in case you're a little out of practice.
The last thing you want to do is fall straight to the bottom of the cave.

The bright sun disappears as you enter, dodging vines and the ceiling.
It's not a difficult task getting down, it's not like you haven't done it a hundred times before, but it's better to bs safe than sorry.

You land on the highest platform in the cave, shoes adding to the scuffed patch on the wood.
It's a detail you like, making the cave feel more lived in.
It make it a space that feels much more like home than just a large open cavern with a couple structures here and there.

You walk down the path rather than flying to the bottom, wanting to see if you can spot any work your partner has done since you've been gone.
Much of it is the same, the differences mainly being how much the plants have grown.

You stop in at the villager houses, saying hello and trading for some more golden carrots.
You're glad Iskall brought them here.

With a full stack of food you continue your way down, spotting a familiar ore vein hidden in the wall.
Iskallium.

The two of you met trading for it, it's their trademark after all. It wouldn't be a base of his without some Iskallium.

The vibrant green vein, though eye catching, isn't the last of the things you see.
Below it a face is carved, one that terrifies you.
Iskall is down there too, knelt in front of it.

Something isn't right.

Without a second thought you jump from the wooden bridge, opening your elytra and gliding down to where they kneel.
You land behind Iskall, worried.
This isn't like him.

You walk around them, so you can see their face but not so you break their line of sight.
He stares up at the carving, face unreadable.
His lips move but you can hear no words.

You turn your attention away from them, and to the carving in the wall.
It seems to be looking both at you and not at you, eyes following your every move as you walk closer.

You're unsure what it really is, maybe it's a deity, or a shrine to one.
A shrine to diorite, an ugly one at that.

The white stone with its grey and black spots is a harsh contrast to the rest of the base, one you know Iskall would never really allow.

You look back over at them, his eyes fixed on the face of diorite.
You wave, but get no response.
This isn't Iskall.

With a sharp turn and some well executed arm movement you raise your pickaxe.
Whatever dark force has taken over Iskall can not stay.
You won't allow it.

You bring the pickaxe down, allowing it to strike the stone variant.
Small chunks fly off in every direction with each strike.

The more you mine the harder it becomes, diorite isn't the softest stone.
Your arms begin to feel heavy from swinging, lungs heaving to try and keep your muscles supplied with oxygen.

Both of your hands begin to cramp up from holding the pickaxe so tight.
You drop the tool on the floor, rolling your shoulders to try ease their pain.

This is harder than you thought it would be, the face isn't even half destroyed and you're already hurting.

It's eyes stare at you, almost mocking you for the work you've done.
Wiping your hands on your trousers you reach for your pick, determined to finish what you started.
You will not be judged by an ugly diorite figure in a wall.

As your fingertips make contact with the wooden handle od your pick your hand is prevented from grabbing the tool.
nstead you find a hand in yours.

Following it up you see Iskall standing there, looking at you.
They pick up the pickaxe with their other hand, a smile on his face.

He gives a single nod, letting go of your hand and walking toward the statue.
You hear the contact, see chunks of diorite fall to the floor.
You smile.

Watching Iskall destroy the face brings you comfort and joy.
You knew he was still in there.
And they more than prove that as the diorite crumbles piece by piece, scattering all over the floor.

Soon enough the diorite is gone from the wall.
There is a hole from where it was, but that is a wound the two of you can fix.

Iskall pushes the last of the diorite into a fire, destroying it for good.
His smile is content, not happy but not sad.

The two you make eye contact, Iskall walking over to where you stand.
Their arm extends, offering you your pickaxe back. Which you take.

"Before you ask, I do not know what happened. I remember Keralis and then.. nothing."
"You don't remember anything that happened?" Iskall shakes their head.
"No."

You nod slowly, gut telling you you're being told the truth.
You saw how he was, that wasn't the partner you know, the partner you love.

A few steps forward and you're able to wrap your arms around his body. They lean into your touch, their arms encasing you too.

"It's over now. I'm back and it's over." You whisper.
Whatever happened you just want to support him, make sure he's okay.
You love them after all.

Diorite or no diorite, Iskall means more to you than that.
Whatever happened is finished, the blocks were burnt and nothing remains but a hole in the wall.

Iskall squeezes you a little tighter, clearly glad to have you back.
"Thank you." They say quietly.

You rub his back as you hold on tight, determined not to let go.
You just hope that now the diorite is gone whatever had taken over will never find its way back.
Not into your lives, not into this cave and not into Iskall's head.