Scar - Drabble - Little Things

Contains: Fluff
_______________________________________

With one last pat to the dirt you sit back, happy with your work so far.

You admire the small but messy tree, wiping the mud from your hands as best you can.
Today you'd repotted your bonsai, it needed a little more space for the root system.

The tree had been a gift from your long time best friend and romantic partner, Mr. Goodtimes.
Scar had bought you it recently out of the blue, offering you no explanation.
You'd taken the gift, and made Scar promise to show you how to take care of it.

Organics are Scar's thing, he has always had a talent for terraforming and shaping plants.
While you have some skill you don't meet his level.

And so you had asked for his help to trim the leaves of the tree, which were the only other thing that needed tending to.
The tree was still in pretty good condition when you received it, just in need of a little care.

Bang on time you hear the door open, Scar having set this time to come help you the other day.

"What a beautiful job you've done." The smile is evident in his voice, you don't even have to turn around to know that.

Scar comes up behind you, reaching around your body to run his fingers over the pot, the small pattern catching his attention first.
"Did you make this?," he asks, feeling the texture of the glazed clay.

"I did. Do you like it?"
"I love it, and I love you." You turn your head to look at him, Scar not hesitating to steal a quick kiss before coming to be beside you.

"I love you too, now will you help me with the leaves?" Scar nods, producing a small pair of shears from seemingly nowhere.

"I told you I would show you, so, let's get started." He smiles softly before turning his attention to the tree.

Scar delicately prunes the branches, making sure there will be no growth where it isn't wanted.
Shaping the tree is a big part of the hobby after all, he emphasises that point in his explanation.

You watch carefully as his fingers brush over the leaves, the bark, carefully snipping away.

Once the explanation is over he continues to trim the leaves, humming as he shapes.
Something he does no matter the project.

Watching him work has always been one of your favourite things. So much so it's hard to pay full attention to what he's actually doing.
You're so focused on the little movements his hands are making, how gentle and precise he is handling the tree.
How thought out ever little detail is, he never misses a thing.

Your eyes wander up to his face, his eyebrows ever so slightly furrowed as he focuses fully on what he's doing.
His green eyes are fixed on the tree, twinkling with a joy you've seen countless times before.

There are so many things you pick up on, when he's tending to the garden or building something of his own.

When he works on something he loves there is always the ghost of a smile on his face.
He always uses his hands to feel a surface before and after doing anything.
Scar often will hum quietly as he works, sometimes a tune, sometimes in acknowledgement of what he's doing.

He's a wonder to watch work, you often do. Wherever you can.

"Your turn." Scar says suddenly.
"I what?"
"It's your turn, I am teaching you how to do this yourself. " He chuckles.

Slowly you take the shears from his hand.
He keeps his hand over yours, guiding you to a section of the bonsai still needing a trim.
The very tip top.

After the first few he lets go of you with a hum, content in watching you try yourself.

Scar still helps you with which branches need to be removed, until the tree is finished.
It looks like it did before, just much neater and shapely.
Although you can't take credit for its looks.

"It's beautiful, thank you." You beam, watching as Scar runs his hand over the leaves before following the curve of the trunk, some of the visible roots and all the way to the pot you have the bonsai now sitting in.

"I can't take full credit." He smiles, "you put just as much effort into this."
"Oh don't be silly."

"I'm not, really, it wouldn't look nearly as good without the pot." He runs his fingertips over the small pattern, before turning to face you.
"It's a beautiful tree for my beautiful partner."

"Oh Scar." You sigh happily, watching his eyes gleam with joy.
He chuckles quietly, placing a kiss atop your head.
It's the little things that make you both happy.