236

Jiayi had no idea about the ointment Wu Dahu just mentioned, but he did figure out that there was somewhat a relation between the wrinkled paper and the ointment judged by Wu Dahu’s tone. So he just gritted his teeth, and admitted it decisively, “That’s right, I did it all! But I have promised to the other party that I wouldn’t rat him out no matter what happens, so rather than being an amoral guy, I would choose to protect him. Please punish me, Lord Wu.”

Seeing him lower his head deeply, Wu Dahu clenched his fists slowly, while pursing his lips as tight as he could.

“Where were you last night?”, he asked.

Jiayi was utterly stunned when he heard so, as if he had never expected that Wu Dahu would suddenly asked something like that.

He was preparing to answer truthfully when he thought about it. If the answer Wu Dahu wanted to hear was that he stayed in the tent for the whole night, then there was no need for Wu Dahu to ask so, so the only explanation was that Wu Dahu wanted to know if he appeared in a place where he shouldn’t be.

Noticing that Jiayi was seemingly sinking into an eternity of silence and hesitation, Wu Dahu almost lost his patience, and then he spoke in a tone of unkindness, with his voice being indifferent, “Why the heck are you keeping your silence?”

Jiayi’s body trembled and he stammered, “I, I went to the banquet in the beginning, and…  and then I did come here in your tent, I swear I did not do anything else…”

Well, this should be kind of a securer answer. It would be okay even if the answer did not meet the demand of Wu Dahu because the only picture he was able to imagine was Wu Dahu’s tent. Other than that, he was unable to figure out elsewhere he could be connected with Wu Dahu.

Wu Dahu’s eyes gradually became odd as he continued to pursue the question, “Apart from observing, have you ever come in?”

A trace of strangeness could be found in the eyes of Jiayi as well. But Wu Dahu failed to catch that detail since Jiayi was keeping his head down.

By now, he had almost figured out that there was someone other than him who was silently observing Wu Dahu while being hidden in the shadow, moreover, what the other party did was a lot more than he did. At least the other party had done something like ‘Three wrinkled papers’ and ‘ointment’.

Even more, if he was a good guesser and did not make things wrong in his mind, the other party who had a crush on Wu Dahu was no one else but Song Qinghan. Although he did not understand why Song Qinghan, a married femina man, was staring at a rookie in the officialdom, it did not mean that this matter would never happen.

In fact, there was a high possibility that Song Qinghan could be found out if Wu Dahu persisted a further investigation. But for some reason, he had a hunch that Song Qinghan would not admit to these things. After all, Song Qinghan had previously built up an image of a good husband who was virtuous and cared for his family, and if others knew that he was secretly seducing Wu Dahu, probably what he got in the end would be nothing but the criticism by the outsiders.

Jiayi figured out everything in his mind fast and quick as if he had just equipped a motor in his brain, and just in a blink of an eye, he succeeded sorting things out in his mind, and then he quickly answered, “Lord, I did come in yesterday, but I did not do anything. If I am still not able to get rid of the suspicion, I sincerely hope that you can investigate me for the further review, Lord. The sun and the moon will prove my loyalty!”

After hearing Jiayi’s admission, Wu Dahu somehow felt a sense of disappointment and loss deeply in his mind.

He sat back on the edge of the bed, looked at the somewhat messy sheets and said in an inexplicable tone, “Did he send you here? Or did he tell you to keep an eye on me when you were free?”