Ch 25: Yule Ball

Violet threw a pillow at me as I jolted up.

"What?" I said.

"McGonagall wants us downstairs" she said.

I rolled my eyes getting up. I quickly got dressed following Violet down the stairs. Every student fourth year and above followed McGonagall down to the an empty room. She separated the girls and boys to opposite sides of the room as Filch walked in. I smiled at George who blew a kiss.

"The Yule Ball has been a tradition of" McGonagall said looking to Filch who was messing with the record player. "Tri-Wizard Tournament since its inception. On Christmas Eve night, we and our guests gather in the Great Hall for a night of well mannered frivolity. As representatives of the host school, I expect each and every one of you to put your best foot forward. And I mean this literally because the Yule Ball is first and foremost, a dance."

I looked around as girls began chattering with their friends while the guys complained.

"Silence!" She said. "The House of Godric Gryffindor has commanded the respect of the wizard world for nearly ten centuries. I will not have you, in the course of a single evening besmirching that name by behaving like. A babbling, bumbling band of baboons."

I looked down holding in my laugh as Violet nudged me. I looked up as McGonagall had Ron dance with her in front of everyone. Someone from the boys side whistled as Ron looked to be having the worst time of his life.

"Everybody come together!" She said. "Boys on your feet."

The girls instantly stood up as one by one a Gryffindor boy would ask a girl to dance. I smiled as George skipped over holding his hand out.

"Care to dance?" He asked.

"I would love to" I smiled.

As we swayed back and forth I looked over his shoulder as Violet and Fred danced.

"Have you been practicing?" George asked.

"Maybe a little bit" I said.

"You've gotten better" he laughed.

"Thanks" I said rolling my eyes.

"I suppose this is a proper time to ask you to the Yule Ball?" He asked.

"Hm" I said. "I'll think about it."

He jabbed his fingers into the side of my stomach as I laughed.

"Yes, I'll go with you" I said.

"What color dress will you be wearing?" He asked.

"Black" I said.

"Odd choice" he said.

"Alright students!" McGonagall yelled. "You are dismissed."

George and I went our separate ways as Violet and I went to the library.

I watched as Violet freaked out over what make up she was going to do.

"Are you not worried about what to do?" She asked.

"I'm just doing mascara, that's it" I said. "You know I hate having stuff on my face."

She shrugged.

"Just do something simple" I said. "Your dress is red so maybe do red lipstick and eyeliner with mascara."

"My skins so pale you don't think the lipstick will be too much?" She asked.

"Should be fine" I said.

I looked at the clock finally getting out of bed. I took a shower letting my hair air dry. I laid my dress out on my bed as Violet walked out of the bathroom.

"Have you talked to your dad?" She asked.

"No" I said. "I've been too scared to."

"Your mum?" She asked.

I shook my head.

"I haven't heard anything" I said.

"I'm sorry" she said.

"It's alright" I said. "At least I know she's safe."

I put the black dress on, flattening it out. It was long and hugged my torso with the top loose. I turned my head as Violet put her heels on.

"So you didn't tell me who your date is?" I said.

"Oh" she said.

"It's not Fred is it?" I asked.

She looked on the verge of tears as she looked down.

"He asked Angelina" she said.

"Vi" I sighed.

"It's okay" she said forcing a smile. "I'm going with Roger."

My jaw dropped as she looked away.

"Fred hates him" I said.

"Yeah, I know" she said.

The room went silent as I applied mascara to my eyelashes. I looked at the necklace around my neck smiling. I grabbed my heels strapping them before walking out of the door. Violet walked behind me slowly as George waited down in the common room with Fred beside him. Fred's eyes were glued to Violet as she smiled at George.

"Beautiful, Vi!" George yelled as she walked out of the common room.

George turned to me as his eyes sparkled.

"I can't even put into words how absolutely stunning you look" he said.

I placed my hands on George's chest smiling.

"You look extremely handsome, George" I said.

He leaned down placing a soft kiss on my lips. Fred walked over poking my head.

"Ow?" I said.

"Who's Violet going with?" He asked.

"I have no idea" I lied.

"You're lying" he said.

"Am I?" I said.

He walked away not saying another word. Billy ran down the boys stairs walking to me.

"I need help with my tie" he said.

I leaned over showing him how to properly do it.

"You are looking very dapper, who is the lucky lady to go with you?" I asked.

"Susan Bones" he smiled.

I pinched his cheek as he pulled his face away.

"I'll see you in the Great Hall" I said.

George held out his arm as I grabbed onto it. We walked to the Great Hall as the champions all lined up with their respected dates. Fleur was in front of us with a Ravenclaw as I turned around to see Hermione with Viktor. I smiled at the young girl as the doors swung open. Cheers erupted as we walked in to the center. George and I now stood in front of each other waiting for the music to start. I smiled as we started dancing.

"So much better than the first time I saw you dance" George chuckled.

"Wow" I smiled.

After the waltz we sat down at an empty table. I looked around to find Alina. She stood in the crowd smiling and laughing.

"Fred is death glaring Davies" George said. "Why didn't you say that's who she was going with?"

"Makes things interesting?" I said. "Do you think he'll actually tell her his feelings? Or is he just going to bottle it up."

"I don't really know" he said.

"She's going to lose hope in him" I said. "She's not going to wait forever."

He nodded agreeing.