Ch 31: Professor Umbridge

On my way to Defense of the Dark Arts, Harry ran up behind me.

"What can I do for you?" I asked.

"I had a weird dream" he said.

"What kind of weird dream?" I asked.

"It was in a room, I-I've never seen it before. I seen him. It just felt real" he said. "There was an orb of some kind. I don't know what it is or what it means."

"I'll look inside your mind later but I'm running late" I said. "I promise I'll help you."

I sat down beside Violet rubbing my eye. I turned around to George smiling as he winked. There was a change in the air as Umbridge walked inside the classroom.

"Good morning children" she said. "Ordinary Wizarding Level Examinations, O-W-L's, more commonly known as the OWLs. Study hard and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so and the consequences may be severe."

I looked at Violet then back to Umbridge. She set new textbooks in front of the students.

"Your previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly uneven. But you'll be pleased to know from now on you will be following a carefully structured Ministry approved course of defensive magic" she said.

Violet quickly skimmed through the textbook.

"There's nothing in here about using defensive spells" Violet said raising her hand.

"Using spells? Well I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom" she said.

"We're not going to use magic?" George asked from the back.

"You will be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk free way" she said.

I clenched my jaw.

"What use is that? If we're going to be attacked, it won't be risk free" I said.

"Students will raise their hands when they speak in my class, Miss Black" she snapped.

I rolled my eyes looking down.

"It is the view of the Ministry that a theoretical knowledge will be sufficient to get you through your examinations" she said. "Which after all is what school is about."

"And how's theory supposed to prepare us for what's out there?" I asked.

"There is nothing out there, dear" she smiled. "Who do you imagine would want to attack children, like yourself?"

"Oh I don't know, maybe Voldemort? Did you forget what happened last year? He gave Harry scars he'll have for the rest of his life" I said.

The room went dead silent at the name.

"Now let me make this quite plain. You have been told a certain dark wizard is at large once again. This is a lie" she said.

"It's not a lie! I saw him! I fought him! He may not have killed my sister but he watched as she was murdered!" I said. "He was going to kill Harry!"

"Detention, Miss Black!" She yelled.

"So according to you my sister dropped dead of her own accord?" I asked.

"Alina Black's death was a tragic accident " she said.

I stood up slamming my book.

"It was not an accident! She died in a tournament that never should have been allowed again! It is the Ministry's fault she is dead! Fudge deserves to burn in hell for letting the tournament happen, if it hadn't my sister would still be here" I said. "The Ministry is a sham and you know it!"

"Enough!" She yelled. "See me later, Miss Black, in my office."

I threw the book across the room before walking out. I sat in the common room staring at the fire. I turned around to the clock. I sighed walking out and towards Umbridge's office. I walked up the steps knocking on the door.

"Come in" she said.

I opened the door to see dozens of plates hanging on the walls with the faces of different cats meowing.

"Wow" I whispered.

"Sit down, dear" she said.

I looked at the chair slowly sitting down. She set a piece of parchment paper and a quill in front of me. I picked up the quill examining it.

"Write 'I must not lie'" she said.

"You didn't give me any ink?" I said.

"You won't need it" she said.

I began writing on the paper as I felt the skin on my left hand open up. I stopped writing as the words were now carved into my skin. I looked up to her as she smiled. I continued on and on writing as my hand was bloodied. I looked up as she tapped her spoon against her mug.

"Have you learned your lesson?" She asked.

"And what exactly was my lesson?" I asked.

She smiled standing up.

"Spreading false information that he is back" she said.

"Then no, I have not learned my lesson" I said. "Because I do not lie."

"Should I bring in Billy or Tommy?" She asked.

I stood up walking towards her.

"The difference between every other student here and myself, is that I'm not scared of you nor will I ever" I said with my eyes glowing.

I walked closer as she backed up into her desk.

"Now let me make this quite plain as you say, I don't care what you do to me" I said. "But you lay a finger on my brothers and I promise you, I will make your brain scrambled to where you won't even know what is left and right, you won't even know your own name."

Her lips pursed as she exhaled.

"You're pathetic" I whispered.

As I walked out of her office I wiped some of the blood off my hand. I stopped at Madam Pomfrey's getting bandages, wrapping it myself as I walked to Gryffindor Tower. I walked towards George sighing as he wrapped his arms around me. He pushed my hair back looking to my eyes then to my hand. I pulled my sleeve over the bandages.

"What's wrong with your hand?" He asked.

"Nothing" I smiled.

He looked at my confused before grabbing my wrist. He unwrapped the bandage looking back to my face.

"Who did this?" He asked.

I looked away as he grabbed my face forcing me to look at him.

"Detention with Umbridge, had to use a blood quill" I said.

"What? She could get in trouble for that" he said.

"She won't though. There's a reason why she is here and it's not good" I said.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

"It wasn't that bad" I said.

"Everybody's talking about your argument with her" he said.

"I just want this year to be over" I said.

"I know being an Auror is clearly out of the picture" he said.

"Tony still wants me to lead the avengers when they're retired but a part of me wants to do absolutely nothing" I said.

"Could always be the third owner of our joke shop" he said.

"The hypothetical joke shop" I smiled. "I could do the finance part since you and Fred are not good with numbers."

He smiled placing his lips on mine.

"Merlin, I love you" he whispered.

I looked into his eyes smiling.