Ch 41: Vormir

My mother and I were to go to Vormir for the soul stone while Lily went to New York with Steve's team. We stood in a circle looking at one another.

"A year ago, we lost. All of us. We lost friends. We lost family. We lost a part of ourselves. Today, we have a chance to take it all back" Steve said.

I glanced at my mother as she looked at Steve.

"You know your teams, you know your missions. Get the stones, get them back. One round trip each. No mistakes. No do-overs. Most of us are going somewhere we know, that doesn't mean we should know what to expect. Be careful. Look out for each other. This is the fight of our lives. And we're going to win. Whatever it takes. Good luck" he concluded.

He raised his fist, Tony doing the same, then Rocket. I was the last to do it after Lily.

"For Tommy" Steve said softly.

I nodded raising my fist up.

"Take care of my ship" Rocket said.

"I'll try my best" I smiled.

"That doesn't sound too convincing" he said.

"See ya in a minute" my mother winked to Lily.

Lily nodded slightly. I looked at her before we all pressed the buttons on our wrist. I landed on the ground looking around. I watched as my mother hugged Rhodey before nodding to Nebula.

"Watch her, kid" he said.

"Not a kid anymore, Rhodey" I said.

He smirked as we boarded the ship. I hit controls on the ship before we took off.

"It's beautiful" my mother said as stars sparkled in her eyes.

I turned my attention back to space filled with beautiful stars. The ship came to a stop landing on a surface. We both stood up looking out at what lied ahead.

"Under different circumstances this would be totally awesome" I said.

She turned her head wanting to scold me but held off as she turned around exiting the ship. I followed close behind her. I looked around at almost complete emptiness except for a large mountain. I continued following my mother as we climbed up it.

"I bet the raccoon didn't have to climb a mountain" my mother said holding her sides.

"Technically he's not a raccoon" I said.

"Oh whatever he eats garbage" she said.

I stood there about to say something when another voice spoke.

"Welcome" was said.

Instantly I formed psionic swords with both my hands as my mother had two red psionic balls in her palms. A dark figure appeared with no face.

"Wanda. Daughter of Erik. Natalia. Daughter of Sirius" he said.

"Who are you?" My mother asked.

"Consider me a guide to you. And to all who seek the soul stone" he said.

"You tell us where it is, then we'll be on our way" she said.

"Oh, liebchen if only it were that easy" he said.

I turned to look at my mother slowly pulling the swords back into my palms. We followed him to the edge.

"What you seek lies in front of you" he said. "As does what you fear."

"The stone's down there?" My mother almost asked as she stood near the edge looking over to the bottom.

"For one of you. For the other, in order to take the stone you must lose that which you love" he said. "An everlasting exchange. A soul for a soul."

I looked to my mother, into her eyes. I saw her life flashing before her eyes. Growing up in a small European town with no parents, falling in love then losing him, losing her children. She was ready to die.

She sat down on a rock with her hands clasped together, thinking of what to say. I felt my heart swelling up at the thought of losing her. I looked away from her body thinking of what to say.

"Maybe there's another way" I said choking back tears.

"Thanos left here with the stone and without his daughter" she said. "That's not a coincidence."

I looked to her then the cliff. I wasn't going to let her die. I didn't care what the prize was. I began running for the cliff when she stood up controlling my ankles causing me to fall to the ground. She flipped my body over so I was facing her.

"I love you more than words can ever describe. Bring Tommy back and tell him I'm sorry it had to be this way" she said tears streaming down her face.

I couldn't control the tears that formed in my eyes watching her begin running. I threw a psionic ball near her as she fell to the ground. I stood up and jumped off the cliff. I had only been in the air for mere seconds when I felt something wrap around my stomach as I dangled from the side. I hurriedly turned my attention to the direction I was originally looking, I grabbed her wrist.

"It's okay" she whispered.

"No" I cried.

"It's okay, let me go" she said smiling.

I gripped her wrist tighter when her hand glowed burning my skin. I let go of her arm for a split second. The last thing I saw of her was a smile on her face before her body hit the ground. Her skin turned pale as her eyes lost all the life behind them. I looked at her body one last time before I felt a scream erupt from my mouth. A light began blinding my sight, I could see nothing.

I opened my eyes realizing I was now wet. I sat up looking around, seeing I laid in a body of water of some sort. I looked to my hand opening it slightly to see a orange stone in the center of my palm. I screamed out standing up. I turned around to see a ghostly figure of Jean.

"How does it feel?" She asked. "How does it feel to lose everything you have fought for?"

I clicked the button as I was teleported through space and time. I stood now with the rest of the team.

"Did we do it?" Bruce asked.

A small celebration went about as I stood there not saying a word.

"Where's Wanda?" Lily asked.

I felt my knees give out falling to the ground. I handed Tony the stone as tears streamed down my face. Lily ran towards me wrapping her arms around my body. I cried out in pain as she attempted to hold back her tears.