Gally Reacts to You Not Sleeping

You sat on top of Lookout Tower, your usual spot at night. You went to bed at the same time as the others, of course, but you never stayed there. You weren't entirely sure why... you just couldn't sleep.

It might have been the nightmares, but all the boys had those. It might have been the walls' ever-looming presence giving you anxiety and making you restless. Or the sounds of Grievers coming from the maze could awaken you.

Regardless, you couldn't sleep. You hadn't in a while, you thought... it had been days. You knew you needed to sleep. But you didn't feel... safe.

You came to the top of Lookout Tower to watch the stars. The stars felt safe. You'd lay on your back and stare up at them... free, fearless, unburdened, miraculous... until you dozed off. Then, when you inevitably awoke, the stars would be there to comfort you.

Tonight, it was so late, and you were so desperate for sleep, you began to count them in a low voice.

"Two hundred seventy-two... two hundred seventy-three..."

"Hey."

You nearly jumped out of your skin.

"Gally what the shuck?!" You punched him in the arm as he climbed the ladder and sat down next to you.

"Woah, tiger." He smiled, rubbing the spot. "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. You weren't in your hammock though...I was worried."

"Don't be. I'm fine." You looked back up at the stars.
"I get it, you know."

"What?"

"The first couple days in here. I couldn't sleep either. The nightmares get better after a while," He said, laying back to look at the stars.

"Do they?" You asked, a little sarcastically but also curious.

"Yeah." He met your eyes. "I counted a couple thousand one night..."

"I usually fall asleep before that."

"Lucky."

You sat in silence, staring at the stars. Then you lay next to Gally.

"I just don't feel safe here." You mumbled.

"I know. I didn't either. But you are... you're safe with me." He sat up on one arm to look you in the eyes.

"You're always safe with me."

"Promise?" You mumbled sleepily.

"Of course."

Gally lay back down and waited until your breathing evened out in sleep. Only then did he smile and fall asleep himself.

Somehow, during the night, you snuggled closer to him, and you woke up safe in his arms.