Gally Reacts to the Slammer as Enemies

"Come on, Alby, don't lock me in here with him!" You pleaded, clutching the bars.

"Sorry, y/n, you know the rules. You and Gally left the Glade without permission or a runner."

"Have a nice time," Minho grinned at you through the bars.

"Oohh Minho, you better thank your lucky stars I'm stuck in here because when I get out..." You left the threat dangling in the air

"Why did you have to run out into the Maze? So dumb, shank."

"Shank yourself, why'd you run after me?" You demanded, poking Gally's thick chest.

"I wasn't just going to let you die, idiot, you're the best medjack we have."

You opened your mouth to argue, but then you stopped, stepping back.

"Was that a compliment?"

"What!? No! No... shuck it, y/n. I'm sleeping." Gally sat down on the dirt floor of the slammer, leaning against the stone walls and closing his eyes.

"Yeah, sure. Shank." You grumbled, sitting down too.

Bored and tired, you did what you always did when you were stressed: sketch. You drew with your fingers in the dirt, not caring that the earth got under your fingernails. You got so absorbed in the drawing that you didn't notice Gally's eyes following your movements.

"Is that what you think is out there?" He asked and you looked up sharply. You hadn't even realized that, along with the sketch you were doing of the maze, you had also drawn your daydreams about the end. Two large oak doors, hidden by ivy, led to a long hallway and then...

"I don't know. It's fun to imagine."

Gally scooted over to see more closely.

"What do you think's beyond the doors?" He asked, more curiously than sarcastically.

"I don't know." You said again. "That's why the drawing stops. I can't remember what the outside world is like. But I bet it's better than in here."

Gally scowled. "No, it's better to stay here, where we know our enemies and can keep each other safe. That's why Alby punished you for leaving the Glade!"

"He punished you, too," You reminded, and Gally flushed.

"It's your fault though. I wouldn't have gone out except to bring you back. Lucky, I did, too, otherwise you'd be lost in that maze forever. Half wish you would have been." He muttered.

You fingered your sketch again, blurring the lines of the doors until they looked just like part of the walls. As much as you hated to admit it, you were glad Gally had come for you, too. You had been lost, and scared. All the walls looked the same from the inside, at least to you.

"Thank you." You whispered, nearly too low for Gally to hear.

"For what?" Gally snapped.

"Saving my life."

You looked up into his blue eyes and gave him the tiniest of smiles. He nearly slipped and smiled back, showing you for a brief minute a different side to Gally. Then his face hardened as he caught himself, and he murmured, "Yeah, well, don't let it happen again."

"I won't." You promised. And you meant it.