Gally Reacts to Calling You a Pet Name by Accident

Supply runner, that, of all jobs, was the ones the Keepers had assigned to you. Some days it wasn't so bad. Then, there were the days you had to deliver to the builders. The boards they told you to carry were heavy, large, awkward and splintery. Not to mention, the Keeper of the Builders, Gally, and you didn't get along. You never really understood what he thought of you; some days he was nice and helpful, other days he'd yell and bite off your head. And, as you heard him yelling at the other builders, you assumed that today was one of those days.

"Lower, I said lower! Are you all deaf as well as stupid?! Oh, good, fresh lumber."

But, at that moment, you tripped over a hammer left on the ground and threw your armload of food all over the place.

"Oh, shuck it all, Gally, I'm sorry! I wasn't looking where I was going and-"
"It's fine, babe," Gally said, reaching to help you up.

As soon as he said it, Gally froze. You froze too, as the boys around you burst into a fit of high-pitched giggling.

"Um... y/n, I didn't mean-"

"It's fine, Gally. Forget it."

"I didn't mean-"

You decided the situation would be best resolved if you simply left, so you did. You turned your back on Gally's (adorable) red face.

Later that day, at dinner, you saw him again. He took two steps toward you, then seemed to decide against the idea, huffed, and turned back to his builders. You sighed. The annoying thing about Gally (only one of many) was his stubbornness.

"You better not be thinking of going over there." You said to yourself. You hadn't realized you said it aloud until Chuck asked,

"Who are you talking to?"

You jumped; the kid had a way of sneaking up behind you.

"No one, Chuck. No one I listen to, at least." You took a deep breath and marched over to Gally's table.

The other builders hooted and nudged him as you walked up, and he got that particular scowl on his face that only happens when someone threatens his precious reputation.

"Gally, about this morning..."

"Y/n, it wasn't a big deal-"

You held your hand up, "Let me finish."

Gally reluctantly fell silent.

"I was going to say..."

You dropped your serious attitude and smiled at him.

"You can call me babe if you want."

Gally's eyes widened in surprise as you spun on your heel and left to sit with your friends. You couldn't wipe the smug smile off your face for days after that, and Gally occasionally would call you 'babe' from time to time... much to the amusement of the other boys.