Gally Reacts to You Surviving a Night in the Maze

You honestly had no idea how you were still alive. You ran blindly through the maze, tripping over vines, stumbling past spinning walls, just trying to avoid the Grievers, which always two steps behind you. You should have died dozens of times, yet here you were, still running.

How many hours have I been out here? You wondered. How many hours until sunrise?

The doors would open at sunrise. Would the guys be waiting for you? They probably thought you were dead. Minho would think you were dead, obviously. They'd be shocked when they saw you survived. Shocked, surprised, overwhelmed. Minho would ask what happened, why you hadn't come back before the doors closed. You would tell him about getting your foot caught on some vines, pulling your ankle so it hurt even to walk. You would tell all of them about your amazing adventures in the maze at night, pushing through the pain to run from grievers, leap past twisting walls, and make it back by sunrise.

But that was when the sun came up. Now, it was dark. You had no idea how long you'd been out there, or how many hours it was until sunrise.

It can't be long now you thought, leaning on a wall for support as you tried desperately to catch your breath. Your ankle was throbbing so badly you felt like you were going to pass out. But you couldn't pass out. Passing out would get you killed.

You heard the growl of a griever behind you, and you forced yourself to keep stumbling forward. The fear, pain, and adrenaline blurred together to create a dark nightmare where you were always running, always afraid, always in pain. You couldn't breathe or think, all you could do was run through the darkness.

Then the first hints of light came from above the maze walls. Now you had a destination to run to. You weren't just running from something, you were running to something. You were going home. The fear was still there, as was the pain, but knowing you had a chance now gave you hope. You just had to make it through the doors, and you would be safe.

The Griever that had been chasing you turned back, afraid of the light. You slowed your pace, enjoying the luxury of deep breaths and limping slowly along the walls. The maze walls shifted slightly and settled into their place for the day. Finally, you recognized where you were. And you knew the way home.

The sun rose in the sky, lighting your path home. You took it slow, exhausted by running for an entire night, not to mention the mapping you did the day before which brought you do the maze in the first place. But you managed to turn the last corner nevertheless.

You saw the doors, wide open and welcoming. No one was waiting for you, which gave you a pang of disappointment. But the sun was already high in the sky, it had been for an hour. The doors had long since been open, and the boys must have given up on you already.

You stumbled through the doors and collapsed on the soft grass of the Glade. You lay there, panting and gasping for breath, staring up at the sky.

You'd made it. You were safe. But there was no one there to greet you.

You sat up, leaning against the wall.

Where was everyone? You didn't see them in the gardens or near the Deadheads. In fact, you didn't see anyone anywhere. Which could only mean...

You set off limping toward the meeting hall in the corner of the Glade. You managed to get there without too much trouble, but you leaned on the doorframe for support when you got there. As you did, you overheard Gally talking... about you?

"They're strong, they had to have survived. What if they're still alive out there, just hurt? I say we send someone after them!"

You were shocked. Gally was usually the one to insist on sticking to the rules, whatever the circumstance. Why was he going so completely against his nature?

"You know we can't do that, Gally," Newt said softly, trying to be kind.

"We have to! We can't just leave them!"

Gally's voice was drowned out by the rest of the boys beginning to shout and argue. You decided now was the best time to make your entrance.

"Settle down boys, no need to make such a ruckus on my account," You said, thrusting the door open and standing on the top step like a ruler surveying your kingdom.

The meeting room went dead silent. Then it erupted.

"Y/n! You're alive?!?"

"How are you still alive?!?"

"Did you see a griever?!?"

"SHUCK IT GUYS they're hurt!" Gally ordered.

The crowd parted immediately. Gally came and scooped you up.

"Gally, I'm fine, it's just my ankle," you insisted, but he ignored you and carried you down the steps to the front of the meeting hall. He lay you down gently on a blanket on the bottom step, gesturing for Clint and Jeff.

"What hurts, y/n?" Clint asked

"Ankle," you said, gritting your teeth as he felt it.

"Not broken," he said finally, "But sprained. You'll need to stay off it for a while."

"Oh, they will," Gally said firmly. You rolled your eyes. It was useless to argue with Gally when he got in his overprotective mood.

"Come on, I'll carry you to the med hut," he said, putting his strong arm under your back.

"Really, I'm fine, I can walk. I literally ran on the ankle all night and walked back here," you protested. But you couldn't help but enjoy the feeling of being carried in his strong arms, held so tightly against his chest.

"No arguments. You need rest," Gally ordered.

While he was carrying you through the Glade toward the med hut, you asked, "Why did you try so hard to send out a rescue party for me? It's against the rules," you said weakly, the exhaustion from the night catching up with you.

"Because I care about you, shuckface. Besides, I knew you wouldn't just lay down and die. You're too stubborn for that," Gally said in his gruff voice. You could feel the tenderness behind his words.

With a sigh, you snuggled up closer to him.

"Thank you for caring, Gally," you mumbled.

"Of course," Gally replied.