17 - Like you are the last two pieces of brownies on earth

♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬

Chapter 17: Like you are the last two pieces of brownies on earth

"I'm not going." I said for the hundredth time.

"Anna-" Trisha began.

"I'm not! Okay! I can't!" I yelled.

"Brianna- look, I know-"

"No, you don't! You don't understand! I want to go, but I can't go! I can't! I can't do anything! I can't go out without people whispering and pointing at me! I can't date a freaking guy! I can't even inherit Cordelia's stuff without being on the news!" I cried, picking up the news article, shoving it away and burying my head into my teddy bear.

It's just been two weeks since I received Cordelia's Étoiles du Ciel, and rumors were flying already. Someone even wrote an article, a theory. According to his theory, I went to get close to Cordelia and sweet talked her into putting me and my family into her will and letting us inherit a lot of things, including Étoiles du Ciel. Then, I killed her so she wouldn't see the real me and write us out of her will. And the worst part of it all? The public was eating up that theory.

"I don't? I may not suffer as much as you do, but please remember I'm your best friend and my dad's your lawyer. I get whispers and pointing fingers too. But, instead of hiding in my house like you are now, I chose to face them. I chose to hold my head high... Look, I'm not saying you are wrong or anything, but Brianna- You can't keep avoiding stuff or escaping stuff. You have to face them, especially when it's not your fault. Right now? You're just doing exactly what the murderers of Cordelia wants, for someone else to take the blame and suffer because of them. Hiding isn't a solution, Anna, it's a selfish act. You're blocking us out, shutting us out... That won't do you or any one of us any good. We need to know how you really are to help you." Trisha said, throwing her hands up in frustration.

"I'm not shutting you guys out..." I mumbled into my pillow

"Yes, you are. Tell me, have you ever told us how you really are? All you've told us are stuff like, how the questions are annoying, how you hate it when people write stories about you, how your life sucks... But you've never told us about how you really felt!"

"Dont' you think I want to? But how can I tell you how I am and how I'm feeling when I dont' even know how I am or how I'm feeling. I don't know anything anymore! I... I just want to be a normal 16-year-old. I..." I said, pulling away from my teddy bear and hugging it instead.

"Oh Anna." Trisha cooed, moving forward to hug me.

"Okay, so may be you don't know how you are feeling. But you want to be a normal 16-year-old? Then the first thing to do is to face the public. And that-" Trisha pointed to my costume hanging outside my closet "is the first step. But, if you still need more time, you don't have to go tonight. You-"

"No, you're right. I need to stop hiding, we're going." I announced, putting away my teddy bear.

"What? You mean, you're really going?"

"Yeah, I am." I replied, getting up.

"Good! We'll make sure no one will recognise you tonight, not even your brother, Ashton or your crush, Jason." Trisha said in delight.

"Make that an us." I said, seeing Trisha's confused expression, I added. "I mean, if people can recognise you, they'll know I'm me, right?"

Trisha smiled and pulled out her phone,

"Cara? Yes. Your lady agreed to go to the dance! Yes! I know right! Okay, well, tell them to get ready, we're coming! K, bye!"

"Cara?" I questioned Trisha.