31 - Like a Skyscraper

♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬

Chapter 31: Like a skyscraper

Skies are crying,

It was the day of my hearing.

I am watching, catching teardrops in my hand.

I woke up early that morning, two hours too early.

Only silence, as it's ending, like we never had a chance.

So I took a shower, possibly my last shower at home, and sat in my balcony, looking over the view and I plugged on my earphones. Are we allowed to hear music in jail?

Do you have to make it feel like there's nothing left of me?

I read my favorite book and hugged my two favorite stuffed animal, my teddy bear from when I was younger and Piglet that Jason got me.

You can take everything I have, you can break everything I am.

True, I was sad, I was getting teary, but I was not afraid. Not anymore.

Like I'm made of glass, like I'm made of paper.

You know how when you eat chilli, it's very spicy and you can't take it? But then you eat some more and gradually you don't feel they're spicy anymore? I didn't know, but that might just be why I wasn't scared. I'd been scared and worried so much that I just didn't feel it anymore.

Go on and try to tear me down

My face was everywhere, the internet, newspapers, gossip magazines... almost the whole country was talking about my case, some scolded me, while others just analyzed the whole thing with no conclusion, only little supported me.

I will be rising from the ground

They used to bother me, the media, but they didn't anymore. I was over caring too much about what people think. I was innocent and I didn't care if no one in the world knew, as long as I knew, Cordelia knew, and God knew, it was enough, my family and friends knowing was just a bonus.

Like a skyscraper, like a skyscraper

Breakfast had been eerily quiet, I could see Mom trying to hold her tears and Dad trying to look optimistic and Ashton biting his lip. Cara cried a lot when she helped me change.

As the smoke clears, I awaken and untangle you from me

As I arrived the court, I didn't feel anything. In fact, I felt relieved, like I got a piece of stone off my shoulder. The worrying, having to have a tutor to teach me, only going back to school to do tests, staying home all day were over, no matter what happened in the hearing, I wouldn't have to face that anymore. It was now or never.

Would it make you feel better to watch me while I bleed?

Genevieve and Ryan were there of course, they were Cordelia's granddaughter and son after all. Ryan gave me a smile and mouthed, good luck. We hadn't seen each other many times, but the few times were enough to make me like this jolly nice man. His daughter, however, just pursed her lips. I couldn't read anything from her, but she was probably happy to see me in this state.

All my windows still are broken, but I'm standing on my feet.

The judge was a petite woman who looked to be in her mid-thirties. Her dark skin seemed to be glowing with kindness. That was until the hearing started and thing a got serious, but she was still nice to everyone.

You can take everything I am, you can break everything I have.

The jury consisted of eleven people, five women and six men. Only two looked to be in their late-twenties. I took a deep breath as I looked at them. My fate was on their hands. I forced a smile on my face.