6 - I'm an eighteen year old guy, for God's sake!

Previously on Royal Innocence:

After returning home from her one month anniversary date with Toby, Brianna found her whole family waiting for her in the sitting room.

'Kids, we have something to tell you.' Mom began.
''Is it bad?' Ashton asked, looking up.
Mom glanced at Dad before answering in a small voice,
'Yes.'

♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬

Chapter 6: I'm an eighteen year old guy, for God's sake!

Mom's words repeated in my head over and over again.

Cordelia passed away.

''Ha, nice joke Mom, but I'm not gonna fall for it! I just came back from hers this afternoon, how could she be dead?!" I laughed, a humorless laugh.

''I'm sorry, honey, but I'm not joking, I wish I am, but...' she sniffed as tears fell.

Cordelia passed away.

Mom wasn't joking. Cordelia was dead and there was nothing I could do to have her back.

''How?' I asked in a small voice. Ashton was silent beside me. ''How did she die?"

'The results are not out yet. All we've been told is that... About half an hour after you left, she started to pale. Unfortunately, no one was around her as her nurse had gone to fetch some water. When the nurse came back, Cordelia was choking. Lucy, the nurse, tried giving her water, but Cordelia just threw up. So, they immediately rushed her to the hospital, but it was too late. She... she died about an hour after you left. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I know you guys loved her like a grandmother. I...' Mom answered, but I had zoned out after ''she died about an hour after you left.' It was all my fault, if I had stayed longer, she wouldn't have died. I would have seen her getting paler and would rush her to the hospital just in time. It was all my fault, it was all my fault.

It was all my fault.

''It's not your fault, darling. Don't say that. No one could ha-' Dad suddenly said.

Did I say that aloud?

''It is!' I yelled, having no control of myself anymore. My arms flaring to make my point. ''If I hadn't left. If... I stayed longer, I'd ... I'd seen her get paler. She wouldn't have died, she'd be in hospital in time!! It's all my fault!' By this time, I was going crazy, like a mad woman, and Ashton, finally moving, had me pinned down in his arms.

''It is. It is my fault! It is, it is.' I sobbed into my brother's arms.

'Shh, Shh. It's okay, it's okay.' He whispered in my ear. I then heard some footsteps coming closer and soon our parents were at our sides, patting us, soothing us.

Knock, knock.

''Your grace?' Dallas said to my parents. ''A few people are here to see you, for Miss Cordelia.'

Mom and Dad quickly wiped their eyes and stood up.

''Take care of each other.' Dad said gently.

''Love you guys.' Mom said as they went out.

''It IS my fault, don't you see? If-' I whispered to Ashton.

''Shh, no it's not. It's not. Look, I understand what you're feeling, okay? I feel that too. I loved her just as much as you loved her. It's-'

''No, you don't understand what I'm going through!! You're not the one who visited her today! Look at you! You're not doing anything! You never said anything! You're just sitting there doing nothing! Nothing at all!' I shouted, pushing myself off his lap and sat next to him instead. I knew I wasn't making any sense. Hell, I didn't even know why I said that, but I was angry and I didn't know what to do or think anymore.