Thirteen | Choke

"Wake up, Vi."

Visena hardly jostled when Gideon lay her on the main room's couch or when Prim shook her lightly. The Alpha called both Eve and Prim to help Visena change while the men were ordered to stay in their rooms.

"Go away," Visena grumbled, tucking her face into the back of the couch. 

The women sighed. "Can't she just sleep in wet clothes?" Eve rolled her eyes at the grumpy Fae.

Prim frowned at her friend. "She'll catch a chill, Eve. Wait here, and I'll get her some fresh clothes."

Gideon watched after her with tired eyes. He should have kept Visena talking on the way back instead of being extra cautious when her body became floppy. She could sleep anywhere, Gideon thought wryly.

"Here." Prim plopped a new top and shorts in the Alphas arms along with one of his oversized jumpers. "I hope you don't mind." Prim flushed. He frowned slightly, but he didn't mind. On the contrary, it thrilled him that Visena would be wearing his clothes.

"Eve, you lift her, and I'll undress her. Alpha...just close your eyes, I guess."

Gideon turned his back on the women until an unfamiliar growl erupted from behind him. He spun to see a bleary-eyed Visena holding his Delta by the throat. Prim's eyes bulged and watered. Visena was still asleep, but her grip was crushing Prim's windpipe. Eve was about to break her wrist when Gideon growled loudly.

"Release her!" His tone seemed to breach her sleep-riddled brain, and her hand unclasped instantly. A fog lifted from her eyes as Prim coughed on the floor. Gideon expected her to be furious, but she looked like a kicked puppy.

"Prim? What happened?" Visena looked from Gideon to Prim, eyes wide.

"I'm really sorry. I shouldn't have tried to change you while you were sleeping." Prim wiped away tears as she sniffled.

Visena was horrified, "Did I hurt you?" She noticed dark bruising around her friend's throat. "Oh no. Prim, I'm so sorry." Visena reached for Prim but paused when she flinched. 

Her hurt expression physically pained Visena."I'm so sorry." She slid off the couch and sat on the floor next to Prim. She wanted to hug her but was afraid of Prim's rejection. 

Prim seemed to read her mind and leaned in for a small hug before gingerly pulling back and remarking, "you are insanely strong." They shared a rueful laugh at the comment. Visena brushed Prim's red locks behind her ears and rested their foreheads together.

Gideon and Eve looked on with a mix of confusion and frustration. A Fae had bested another high-ranking member of Gideon's pack.

Eve didn't understand why after being brutally choked, Prim wasn't angry with Visena. Instead, she appeared to be looking at her with awe.

The pack's Gamma started to suspect Visena was not who or perhaps what she said she was. Even when Eve wanted to be mad with Visena, she couldn't. She respected her. It was annoying.

"I'm going to bed," Eve grumbled before padding up the stairs.

"You should go to bed too," Visena told Prim. "I'm really sorry. I'll make it up to you in the morning."

"Yes, A-" Prim's head shook slightly, ridding a thought. "I mean, yes, Visena. I'll see you in the morning." She walked up to her room, head down. Prim's mate warmly embraced her at the top of the stairs. Gideon met Orion's eyes with an apology, and he nodded with a frown. 

Orion looked over to Visena, who was still dripping water on the hardwood floors with a question in his eyes, but Prim shut him down. "Let's go to bed."