Sixty-eight | Mother

Most of the chaos had ebbed as the wolves and Vampires subdued the remaining humans. A circle had formed around two people, and Visena numbly went over to investigate. Jed sat panting heavily with his mate licking his wounds and nuzzling his head tenderly. 

Where's my mate?

Visena squeezed through the crowd, and they promptly bowed and moved back.

Found him...

Gideon was stuck in hand to hand combat with Teiv, who matched his every jab, cross and parry like a pro. For some reason, both of their shirts were in tatters, and Visena could see the iron armour hanging uselessly around the human's waist. The wolves moved back as the two grappled and dropped to the ground. 

Teiv was quickly caught in a chokehold when a small knife that looked more like a letter opener appeared in his hand. He slammed it deep into Gideon's thigh and twisted. Her mate's agonising groan had Visena leaping forward defensively. Teiv pulled the weapon free and twisted his arm in a wide arc just as Visena drew him back with her water magic. 

The small blade sliced a clean line through Gideon's neck, and Visena screamed bloody murder as the ribbons of blood appeared from the incision.

Her mouth shifted into her wolf form and bit down into Teiv's spine, ripping the column from his skin. She spat the bones and spinal cords across the dry earth as his blubbery mass of flesh flopped in on himself like a twisted accordion.

With a moan, Visena shifted back and rushed to Gideon's side. His hands gripped the flesh of his neck, holding them together as blood trickled from his lips.

"It's okay, Gideon. Shh, shh. Don't talk. I'll heal it. Move your hands, move- Gideon?"

His hands fell to his side, and Visena screamed until her throat burned. If you die, I die. Gideon. Please!

"He's just unconscious, Visena. Hurry up!" Calypso appeared next to her and touched Gideon's forehead, whispering more gibberish. "Pull out the wolfsbane, and it should heal," the witch shouted in a rush.

Visena broke out of her frenzy and placed her hands on either side of the cut. She searched for the poison and drew it out through his pores sniffling back her terrified sobs.  

The blood pumping from the wound and drenching his torso drew her attention next and she shook uncontrollably as she directed it upward. "Go back, it's okay Gideon. It's okay. You can wake up now." 

Precious lifeblood receded and swarmed inside the cut with a gentle push. Visena held back the torrent and watched as the skin slowly knitted together. So painfully slowly.

When it completely closed, she smiled sitting on her heels expecting him to wake, but he didn't. He didn't even stir from her gentle nudging. Visena's breaths came in shortening gasps as she looked at her sister. "Help him." Her whole body shivered. "Help me," she whispered squeezing Gideon's hands tightly. "Come back."

A cool presence appeared in her periphery and a calming energy flowed through the mindlink.  "I will take him to Kora," Mihnea stated, scooping the massive Alpha up as if he weighed nothing. "He will be okay, pet. He's strong."  Rebekah, Thana and a dozen wolves followed behind as he disappeared into the dark forest.

Calypso gripped her shoulder lightly. "Come on, Vi. We need to sort out the rest of these humans before any more hunters appear."

The Fae stood, still shaking and stared at Mara's smiling face. She drew a full breath before steeling her resolve. He will be fine. Focus. "What is your real name?" she asked the woman.

"Adaliah," the hunter replied through clenched teeth. "If you kill me, it will stop nothing. We will keep coming no matter how many of us you slaughter."