Twenty-three | Hina

"So she's half-Fae, half-Wolf, and a Princess. Way to make the rest of us feel pathetic," Jed grumbled with a small smile.

Visena was still reeling from the millionth bombshell. She desperately wanted her memories back so she wouldn't keep getting heart palpitations whenever her mother spoke to her. "Let's just go," she sighed.

The walk only took half an hour, and Visena was breathless. Not from the exertion, but the splendour. Hundreds of Fae flitted around the castle, its immediate markets and village with grace and elegance. Their hair and eyes shone dazzling colours that refracted the sun's beams. 

One look at Jed, and Visena had to laugh. His cheeks were crimson, and sweat lined his brow. He tried to keep his head bowed when a myriad of beautiful Fae women and some men would greet him. Gideon, however, only had his eyes on her. He took her hand in his as they reached the castle gates. As the group passed, many Fae shared kind words and mischievous glances, but none dared to disrespect Esmerelda. Some Fae bowed so deeply, Visena was sure they would lose balance and topple over.

The walk to the throne room was long. Despite the castle being made of concrete, the air was pleasant and inviting. However, the Fae realised quickly that Jed and Gideon were noticeably uncomfortable. Their skin had a light coating of sweat, and Gideon's grip on her hand was crushing. They were both only a hairsbreadth away from Visena's side, and she warmed from the closeness. It's my turn to protect them. Cute.

It was clear the Fae realm was no place for wolves.

"Hello, daughter." The Queen's voice was rich and refined but elicited a strange iciness in Visena's heart. Her body held a memory of the woman, unlike her brain. 

"Mother," Esmerelda said with a  bow. Her companions hurriedly did the same.

"Visena Sage, is that you? My, you have grown. Come closer."

With a glance at her impassive mother, Visena walked towards Queen Cecilia. The 'grandmother' hardly looked older than her. Fae realm time was a blessing and a curse. "Hi."

"You've lost something?" The way Cecilia asked knowingly had Visena on edge.

"Yep."

Cecilia's eyes flickered from the informality before a wide smile broke across her face. "You're still the same even without your memories. But, unfortunately, I will not be able to return them to you, child. Your mother has gotten herself bound by a vindictive witch. The only reversal is death."

"So we have to kill the witch?" Jed looked hopeful. 

It was a horrible act, but at least it was doable. Plus, she tried to murder Prim, which made Visena's apprehension of killing much lower.

Esmerelda's face seemed to debunk the statement as it was being made.

"No." Cecilia's voice was gentle then. "Esmerelda would have to die."

It felt like the world was against Visena. She swayed on her feet, accidentally leaning into her mate's warm chest. His arms wrapped around her as she closed her eyes, grateful for his presence. Fuck this place, she thought bitterly.

"No matter. Memories aren't significant when you are destined to live many lifetimes." Unfortunately, Cecilia lacked any empathy for Visena's plight, and the young woman pressed her lips together to stop her increasingly irate thoughts from pouring out.

Cecilia looked at the arms protectively around Visena's midriff and sniffed lightly. "I see Hina has blessed you. That's two goddesses now."

Despite the ache in her chest, she peered up at her grandmother warily. She didn't even have to ask before the Queen laughed bemused. "You are not meant to exist, my dear. It is unnatural for a Fae and wolf to procreate. You should have died by your third Earth year. However, I blessed you to have the lifespan of a Fae as long as you didn't shift. Your mother virtually extorted me to do it-"