Fifty-one | Regium

"Ren! Iris!" An ex Malum wolf ran forward and embraced the two six-year-old twins in Visena's group with vigour.

"I'll look after them if that's okay with you, my Queen...." The blonde woman pleaded with her eyes.

"How do you know them-?" Visena paused to give her time to provide her name.

"Gail. They were my best friends' children. Reina. She died early on...."

The twins huddled closely, and each held Gail's trembling hands. Visena nodded and smiled at the children softly. "Of course, take them and feed them well. If you need any supplies, just ask."

Gail bowed and scampered off with the now smiling children in tow.

"Does anyone else know these children?" Visena called out as wolves flooded from their cottages in droves.

"I can take Theseus and Daphne." Another woman came forward with a sad smile. "I was their babysitter sometimes. My mate and I can't have children."

Her light-haired mate stepped forward with a tender smile. "It would be our honour to welcome them into our family."

Visena looked at the children questioningly, as it was their decision in the end. Both children looked around ten, and they nodded up at Visena. "Yes, please, Lilac and Bruno have always taken good care of us."

They ran over to the pair and smiled as the two Malum defectors took them to their new home.

Two more mated pairs stepped forward: one from Malum and one from Invictus. At that moment, Gideon rounded the packhouse with a contemplative expression. Echo and Cael happily joined the new families who already had children of their own and went to eat.
No one stepped forward for Cassia, and Visena looked down and the sleeping bundle in her arms.

Why doesn't anyone want her?

Gideon appeared behind Visena and placed his lips to her ears. " It seems she has already chosen her new home."

The Fae's eyes lifted to meet her mates. "What?"

"We can keep her with us. Orion and Prim will be moving out so she can take their room. And we could convert Eve's space into a playroom."

The double bombshell rocked Visena. "They're moving out? We can keep her? What?"

"She trusts you. And besides, Liam's always wanted to be an uncle."

While Prim and Orion's moving out was expected, it still hurt to have them leave their shared home.

Prim's eyes glistened as their gazes connected. She mouthed a forlorn, 'sorry,' before retiring to the packhouse.

The crowd dispersed as Visena stared at Cassia's angelic face. Light blonde curls lay flat against her dirty scalp, and her rosy lips formed a slight pout.

"Okay, sweet baby. Let's go get you something to eat."

Gideon brushed his finger over Cassia's curled fist with a smile and kissed Visena's head before she strode to the Packhouse.

Liam was already blending different foods into a puree for Cassia in the kitchen. "This one is fruit, and this one is vegetables." He looked so excited.

Visena didn't have the heart to tell him she could eat some solid foods. She was half-starved, though, and it would be easier to fill her up if she didn't have to chew too much.

"Thank you, Liam. Can you heat the vegetable one, please?" Visena asked while sitting at the table. She tilted Cassia in her arms until she was more upright and used another gentle energy flow to wake her. The infant grumbled, clenching her fists around Visena's shirt.

Liam placed the food on the table, and Visena spoon-fed Cassia. She ate rapidly, and Liam had to make more very soon after they had started. Once she was satiated, she belched and looked at Visena expectantly.

"I think it's time I give you a bath."

"Bah."

"Yes, bath. Liam, can you please ask one of the families if they have spare clothes and diapers?"

"Yes, ma'am!" Liam bounded off with a grin. Visena had never seen him so excited. 

"Do you need any help?" Gideon queried, walking into the room and smiling at the cooing baby. She leaned forward with arms outstretched, and Gideon took her into his arms. 

Cassia's chatter stopped as she leaned her head towards Gideon and pressed her nose to his. Both took a full breath, pausing at its height and releasing in a gentle huff while Visena held her own breath. Then, as if nothing happened, Cassia pulled back, resuming her babbling and reached for Visena again. After a chaste kiss with her smiling mate, the Fae took Cassia to the bathroom. Her body warmed all over from the encounter. 

Once they reached the bathroom, Visena saw that Liam had already run the bath and added two small rubber ducks. "Cassia, I'm going to lie you down on your back now to undress you." Visena followed her own instructions, and the small child rolled over immediately, pulling herself up to stand and holding the side of the bathtub. Visena chuckled slightly and tutted. "Okay. I'll change you standing up then."

Visena took off Cassia's crinkled, mud-encrusted onesie and threw it to the side, followed by a shockingly full diaper. Visena wiped her down with wet wipes that Liam had subtly thrown into the bathroom and lifted her into the tepid bath.

"Muh, muh, muh. Bah?"

"You're in the bath," Visena said with a nod. She leaned over the tub's edge and gently washed Cassia's body. 

The infant smiled and cooed softly while splashing most of the water across the bathroom floor. Visena had never felt so at peace watching the small child explore the water. Her childhood memories, swimming with her mother in Angpriake, the lake of angels, flooded her mind. Tears threatened to spill as she felt the tender caress of Cassia's fingers against her own. 

Esmerelda will never see me become a mother...

A dry, painful lump lodged in her throat before she shook her head of the thoughts and continued Cassia's caregiving. Drying, diapering and dressing the small child was a joy, and Cassia quickly fell asleep on the walk to bed. 

The hand-me-down cot that Liam had found from one of the families was set up in Visena's old room. She would be just down the hall and was confident Liam would race to check on her if she woke in the night. 

It would take a village, Visena thought with a fond smile. She was surrounded by the most extraordinary people in the world. There was no one more deserving of being the pack of the 'Queen.'

The Royal pack?  The idea fluttered into her tired mind before derailing. Not old-sounding enough.

She peaked her head through Liams' open door on her path down the stairs. Relief rushed through her as she saw he was fully clothed, and shock followed, seeing him read a faded novel. 'Jane Eyre.'

"Liam, do you know Latin?"

"Yeah. We all do."

"Really? That's cool... Um, what is royalty in Latin then."

"Uh, Regium, I believe. Why?"

"Oh, nothing," Visena said, backing away down the hall. 

Regium Pack... I like it. 

~~~

A/N 

I love me a little origin story x

Made it to 13k whoop- honestly, unbelievable 

let's keep the momentum rolling! 

vote, comment, share <3

Love you all!

(Even the silent readers xxx)

See yah, 

K