Forty-one | Panic

Eve dropped the bomb so casually Visena nearly missed it.

"No, the fuck you're not! What?"

Pregnant.

A baby.

A wolf baby.

How did that even work?

No, she didn't want to know.

Prim laughed and squeezed Visena's hands in hers. "It's only a little bean right now."

"That is amazing. Congratulations Prim. You too, Orion!" Visena called over to the pale-faced male, who barely responded with a grunt. "Neither of you will be fighting now, though, you hear me?" 

"What?" Both Delta's spoke in unison.

"Your baby will need its parents, so when the fight comes, you will stay away. Both of you. Do you understand?" Visena used her Alpha command against them, and they bowed rigidly.

"Yes, Alpha."

Gideon walked over to his mate with a slight frown, his eyes phasing colours as his wolf wanted release. It appeared as if he would throw her over his shoulder and spank her again. Her stomach fluttered at the thought. Visena spotted another emotion swirling inside him too. Pride with a healthy dash of lust. 

"Shameless abuse of power, my love." His husky warning had her shivering. Their eyes locked as they stood shoulder to shoulder, and the world fell away. Olive green eyes bore into her liquid silvers and held her transfixed. He leaned down, and his nose brushed against hers, their lips parted and yearning. Visena couldn't hear anything besides the racing of her heart until one voice piped up from her cottage porch.  

"Hey, get a room," Liam shouted over his shoulder, face twisted in mock disgust momentarily as he let himself into the cottage. The expression dropped faster than it appeared, and his jaw slackened. "Ooh, fancy. You know this place is much bigger on the inside!"

"It's enchanted, Liam. Don't wander too far. You might get eaten." Visena had pulled away from Gideon to tease the Beta. He always fell for it too.

Liam backed out, hands raised and eyes wide. "Nice house..."

The wolves all chuckled at his retreating figure.

"Come on, doofus. I'll make you something to eat."

They all filed in and sat down around the table, which had grown twice the size. 

Magic. 

Visena rolled her eyes and went to get them some snacks when Prim intercepted her. "You sit and rest. Gideon told me about your... episode," she whispered in her ear. No doubt everyone still heard Prim's words, but it was thoughtful.

Visena sat back down with a smile, but her throat burned, and heat flamed her pale face. She pushed the feelings of inadequacy and weakness down with a slow breath as the other wolves leaned in her direction.

"What happened to you in there?" Jed spoke first with boyish curiosity. "You look different."

"Probably because they half- starved me," Visena responded with a rueful smile. "It's good to see you, Jed."

He smiled back at her and bowed his head lightly. A demonstration of respect, Visena would never have expected from the young man when they first met. She was so glad she earned his trust. 

As she talked again about her time with the Council, she forgot about the previous embarrassment. "Sorry, Eve, I couldn't keep up with my training there," Visena said with a chuckle as Prim served her some sandwiches.