Fifty | Kids

It was midday when Visena finally awoke, blood stores completely refilled.

"Kora?"

The old healer was standing over Jed checking his pupils. "Yes, dear?"

Visena appreciated the informality from her. Even when they first met, she had always shown her respect without all the stifling titles.

"Is there a way you could draw some blood, and I can give it to the Vampires because I can't repeat what happened last night again. It was so ineffective...."

"I agree," Gideon spoke from the door. His skin glistened beneath a dark singlet and basketball shorts. Darkness shadowed his eyes, but he hid it with a bright smile. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm fine." Visena blushed under his heavy gaze before turning back to the healer. "Kora? Would that work?"

"I don't see why not. I can draw five hundred millilitres so that it won't affect you too much."

"That sounds great."

"What sounds great?" Another male voice spoke from behind Gideon.

"Mihnea! Just the person I wanted to see."

Gideon's scowl had Visena clutching her stomach from giggling. "Both of you, get in here, please and sit down."

The men followed orders, one with a frown, the other with a smirk.

Kora drew the blood quickly and offered Visena a tall glass of orange juice. After guzzling it down, she realised she was famished. She plopped the warm blood bag in Mihnea's lap and marched for the kitchen.

"Let me know when you need more!" Visena shouted on her way out.

Four pieces of jam toast, two peaches, and a punnet of strawberries later, Visena was interrupted by a stranger. She quickly wiped a hand across her face to hide the evidence of her feasting and raised her brows at the visitor. "Can I help you?"

The woman pulled a face and wrung her hands nervously. Her auburn hair hung limply around sallow cheeks.

"My Queen, I'm one of the defectors from Malum-"

"You escaped?" Visena interrupted, moving closer to the woman and grasping her hands gently. "I'm so happy you're safe!"

The woman blushed and turned her head away. Her palms were clammy, and her skin was so pale.

"What's your name?"

"Zahrah." She appeared taken aback by Visena's pure joy at being in her presence. The Alpha held Zahrah's hands so tenderly that the new Invictus wolf had tears helplessly rolling down her cheeks.

"What a beautiful name. What did you need?" Visena pulled Zahrah into the room and sat with her at the dining table.

"I left Malum once Zeir and Daeva started experimenting on all the unmated wolves."

"Daeva?"

"Our pack witch. She was the one who discovered Darius and Esmerelda together and told us all about the Prophecy. About you."

"I had wondered about that," Visena nodded, swallowing down the grief of her late parents again. Every intrusive thought of them felt like a punch to the gut.

"Well, after he murdered Darius, he changed. He imprisoned our Blood Witch and started forcing young unmated wolves to mark each other. So many of us died. But the children... Some children stayed in a bunker near the Packhouse. They could still be there. Please can you come with me to find them?"

Visena's mouth dropped open, and coldness gripped her. "How long have they been in there?"

"Once Alpha Zeir started killing us, we hid them all in the bunker. I should have helped them out, but I was a coward. I ran here hoping to find you, but you were with the council by then, and I never had the chance...." Zahrah hiccuped as the words poured from her body like vomit.