Sixty-one | Fault

The screaming burrowed through Visena's ears, chiselling into her consciousness. 

Who the fuck is that? 

Her head still rang from the misfire as she tried to sit up. Gideon pulled her to his chest as warm wetness soaked through her velvet jumpsuit and coated her fingers. The floor felt slick beneath them, but she couldn't see anything past Gideon's black dress shirt. "Gideon, let go. We need to move."

The rattling Council doors against Leon and Rebekah's grip confirmed that fact.

His body shook against her, and she felt immeasurable pain slip through the mind link. The screaming shifted to a wail, and Visena started shivering. Her head turned to the side, and she saw the wetness was deep scarlet. "What- Gideon?"

His own pained groan had Visena panicking. "Let go, Gideon. Let me go right now!" He only held her tighter, not letting her see. "Who is it? Gideon! Thyra? Eve?"

She pushed her power against him, but he resisted.

Wails turned to howls as someone shifted. "Please, please, please. Gideon, let me go!" she screamed, throwing her body away from him. Her back hit the floor, winding her from the force. She rolled onto all fours with a pained gasp and saw Thana carrying a limp form and Ambrose directing an ebony wolf towards the exit. The remaining Vampires held the door, and Visena crawled towards Thana. "Stop! Stop, Thana!"

Warm arms encircled her waist, and Gideon pulled her into his embrace again. This time she let him hold her as she saw the body. Wet droplets hit her cheek as tears streamed down her mate's face.

No, no, no, no. NO!

"Get her to the penthouse," Rebekah's muted yell barely reached her consciousness. "We'll meet you there."

"Eve? Evangeline, answer me! Eve?"

Gideon tried to gently quiet her despite grief rolling off his shaking frame.

No. She's fine! She's going to be fine. She's okay. "Eve?"

Thana moved faster, and a tattooed arm dropped into Visena's sight, so pale beneath the crimson stains.

"Thana, wait!"

The Vampire wouldn't face her. Why is she running away? Thana turned down a corridor, and Visena saw it. Eve's face. Her eyes were closed, and her mouth hung slightly ajar. If it weren't for the spurting hole in the centre of her forehead, Visena would have thought she was sleeping.

What is that? An idea popped into her head, and she leapt for it, knowing it would prove Eve was okay.

Visena frantically searched her mind link for her friend. She rifled through every thread of consciousness and came up empty. Eve's link was missing. Gone? "Where is it? Where is it, Gideon?" she asked with painful sob.

"She's gone, Visena. She's dead. Stop."

Gideon raked his hand across his face and adjusted his grip around her waist as she imploded. 

Flowing water rushed all around them and she tore it out through metal piping, jib and steel plating. Water flooded the halls of the human council section, and people came running from the rooms frantically. 

After an alert went off, some pulled out phones and ran for the exits. No one batted an eye at the wailing woman clutched in her giant mate's arms. He carried her as she tore the building apart around them, screaming in agony. He waded through the flooded halls until they reached the garden. Her body lost all energy as they crossed the threshold,  and she stilled in Gideon's embrace staring listlessly into space. Numb.