Epilogue

"I need to push right now. She's coming. She's coming out! Oh my god!" Prim's screams had the whole pack on high alert as her baby made its leisurely entrance. Visena got to see more of Prim than she ever thought possible.

"She has hair!"

The Delta was on her knees in the tub, arms wrapped tightly around her mate's neck as Visena grabbed everything Kora needed. "Gather some more clean towels, dear. It's almost time."

"It feels like I'm gonna poop!" Prim cried, groaning into Orion's sweat-drenched shirt.

"And if you do, we'll clean you right up, Primalia. It's normal. Follow the urges of your body, and she will come."

"I need to push, I really need to -" Prim's moans shifted into a slight squeal as Visena returned with the towels. Her fiery locks were plastered to her flushed face, but she looked like a goddess as she reached between her legs and lifted the tiny cherub. "Oh god, oh my god! I did it. I did it!" Orion's eyes were filled with tears as the new mother reclined in the tub with her babe on her breast, sobbing with joy. After a short sharp cry, Kora briefly looked over at the infant, who smiled and greeted her.

"Welcome to the world, darling. We are all so excited to meet you." The Pack healer waited for the cord connecting them to turn white before offering the scissors to Orion. "She has all the nutrients from her placenta now. Cut right here when you're ready."

The burly man wiped his eyes and snipped the cord where she marked. "She's so beautiful," he choked out. "A little squashed, but so cute."

His words elicited a giggle from his mate, and they stared lovingly at the little bundle. "Visena, come look at your new goddaughter."

The Wolf Queen walked over slowly, not to disrupt the perfect moment between the new family. She was delighted to be Prim's daughter's godmother, although she wasn't entirely sure what it entailed. The infant suckled and curled its fist around its mother's hair, eyes still mostly shut.

"It's lovely to meet you, sweet angel."

With a brief look into Prim's tear-filled eyes, Visena somehow knew what the woman was about to say long before she said those beautiful, pure words.

"Queen Visena, and my best friend, meet Eve."

*

"Is that the end of the story, aunty?"

The night outside had grown dark, and the forest had long quieted. Not even the crickets dared interrupt the tale.

"Yes, darlings, at least for now." She left out considerable detail as she read from the leatherbound book, her freckled hand tenderly running along with the author's name.

The silver-headed twins regarded the woman as their aunt, despite sharing no blood. The middle-aged woman had joined the Regium pack as an infant and was accepted into the home of the most wonderful parents who had four more children of their own. They never once made her feel any less for being their only adopted child. On the contrary, sometimes it appeared they appreciated her more, 'you chose us, my darling. You are the greatest gift I could have ever asked for,' her father would say.

"So, mama and papa saved you when you were a baby?" Elida asked with her wide, forest green eyes. She fanned the dying fire with her dainty hand while her brother hogged the poker.

"Yes."

"But... but you're so old," Conri stated with unfiltered wit. His outer irises were identical to his sisters, but the part nearest his pupil was opalescent like his mother. The poker in his hands stabbed at the glowing embers, nearly setting the carpet alight.