Chapter 7~ Heartbreak

Oh my Irene. How is it already the day of my date?! It was 4:30 PM when I stepped out of the shower, and I made a mental timeline on getting ready and arriving at the location Lucas texted me. Like the weirdo he is, Lucas sent me a picture of the exact spot where my mystery date and I would meet. 'Stand there, and you'll meet the one at 6 PM', Lucas had said. It made me wonder if there was a legit person I was supposed to meet up with and not someone that I bump into by chance.

Holding my towel tight around me, I dashed into my shared room, where Katelyn and Aph were standing in front of the vanity.

"Katelyn, what'chu talking about, she should wear red lipstick," Aph argued.

"That's way too much. They're going to an outdoor café! Just chapstick is fine," Katelyn shot back. "Y/n and I have hung out a lot recently! She's gonna take my advice."

"Uh, NO! You've been all over Travis ever since he crashed onto the island!" Aph accused.

"Well— it's not like you've been any better! Always with Aaron! Y/n and I hang at night, so take that!"

The girls whipped their heads toward me. "What do you think?!"

"About who's my closest confidant or about lipstick or chapstick?" I questioned. "Ugh! Y'know you two, I'm already freaking out over this date, and you guys are not making it better."

Katelyn cracked her knuckles. "If this guy weirds you out, I'll take care of him. Don't worry about it!"

Aph nodded. "Yeah, and we'll...find him on social media and make fun of him! Make sure to get his Instagram fo sho. But Y/n, we're sure it's gonna go great. With that being said, lipstick is a major pop feature. You'll look hawt. More than you already do!"

I sheepishly laughed. "Thanks for the backup... As for the getting ready part, I think I can handle it. I gotta decide things for myself. Now c'mon, I can't have you two loom over my shoulder!"

"Okay fineee! Good luck girl, let us know if you need anything~ Katelyn and I'll be chilling downstairs!" Aph scampered off with Katelyn in tow.

I guess it's time to get ready for this date thing... What better start than drying my hair? With what few things that were available, getting ready wasn't gonna take long at all.

*~o~o~o~*

6PM, huh? I was staring down at my phone, walking a few steps forward to the right spot, until I bumped into someone. I instinctively flinched before looking up to apologize.

However, the words were stuck in my throat. The individual looked up from their own phone, and as soon as they made eye contact with me, anger bubbled up within me. I. Hate. Lucas.

I bit down on the inside of my lip and forced myself to suppress my anger. There has to be some explanation. The spot! Maybe I'm not standing in the right—

"Y/n?"

I glanced down at my phone and then the surroundings. Nope, I was in the right spot... Maybe he's— I stole a glance at his phone, and a picture was up that seemingly matched mine. Okay, I can deal with this. I'm a mature 24 year old.

I gave a curt nod. "Gene." As soon as his name left my mouth, I realized that finally, I truly felt nothing. It was as if that day at the beach with Katelyn actually cured me. Sure, I didn't like that the only guy I've ever loved was in front of me, but...it was just because I didn't need or even want him in my life anymore. Especially after he weaved in and out of my mind like an obnoxious cross-stitch project that you're too tired to complete but every so often get back to. It was eight years ago for Irene's sake! How pathetic have I been?