Chapter 18~ Oh No He Didn't!

"You know, Y/n, we've known each other for almost ten years," Laurance said, taking a seat across from me.

"Wait. What?!"

Every so often he and I would go out to eat, just to talk one and one without the presence of our ever-so eccentric housemates. Even if it was February and freezing.

"Yeah, we met in our sophomore year when we were both 15, and September, ten years later, is coming up."

"Man, I feel old!" I remarked.

"You feel old? Try being 25! Cadenza made me feel so great with the 25 balloons in my childhood room, 25 candles on my cake, a $25 gift card, 25 being the last year I can rely on my parents for health insurance written in my card, and to top it all off, 25 fashion tips! My Irene is she self-obsessed for that one..."

"Aw c'mon, you know Cadenza cares." I grinned. "This is your last year you're able to get hit by a bus without worries— other than the pain part. You should live it up while you can! Oh, and by the way, you're saying this like I'm not also turning 25 in a couple months! I get it, trust me."

"Yeah, us adopted kids are just connected like that. Speaking of that, I never met my biological parents, you think your parents might've had tw—"

"Don't. You. Dare. You and I've dated in the past, let me remind you. Also, I'm kinda like an ex-adopted kid, so we aren't that connected."

Laurance sighed. "You wound me."

Getting walked in on when kissing someone is really uncomfortable, especially if the one walking in is a friend of ten years in September, who happens to be an ex-boyfriend. Oh, and the one you're kissing is the reason why that friend is an ex.

"Laurance didn't seem to like what he saw," Gene remarked.

"Gene..." I warned, my face burning.

In response, he wore a defiant high school smirk. I barged out the door, calling after Laurance, who thankfully was just down the hall. I felt myself grow shaky. Ugh...what do I say...?

Forcing a grin, I said, "Hey! It's good to see you again! Sorry that you had to walk in and um. Y'know."

Laurance turned around and wore an awkward expression on his face. "It's...good to see you too. Like, just good to see you, not like you two. I mean good for" Laurance sighed. "I must've missed a lot while I was gone."

"We should catch up," I suggested. "I'm sure your summer's been pretty crazy, too."

"Yeah, it...has been. I'm gonna say hi to all the guys, but I'll see you around, Y/n." And with that, Laurance and I parted ways, with me returning to my room. With Laurance being back, I really should get around to telling Gene. I'd rather him hear it from me rather than anyone else...

I turned the door handle, but the door stayed shut. Unfortunately, I didn't have my key on me. "Geeeene!"

"About to take a shower," he called back.

My focus shifted to biting back an ill-intentioned grin. "Okay, and? Could you unlock the door?"

"...Why did you mess with the door handle even more after I Come back later!"

"For someone about to take a shower, you sure don't sound like you're in the bathroom!" With my hand still on the handle, the door swung inward and my head hit the frame. "Ugh, jerk!" I remarked, closing the door behind me.