Chapter 12~ The Prospect of Love

Why did he hug me? I mean, friends can hug or whatever but like why wordlessly walk away like that?! It was weird. He was talking about feeling kinda lonely, too. Did...he need to feel a touch of a woman?! What if he wants...no! I'm overthinking. He was just being friendly. And weird. Friendly and weird. It definitely didn't make me feel happy or comforted, cause again, it was weird.

Everyone was eating lunch when I got back from my hang out with Gene, so I of course got stared at by everyone.

"And where have you been?" Dante questioned.

"Oh, y'know. Out," I replied.

Katelyn patted the chair to her left. "Out where?"

"Uh, Katelyn, you're the only one I actually told of my plans. Why are you asking...?" Perplexed, I sat next to her anyway.

"I don't remember that," she retorted.

"I...told you this morning? Cause you woke up cause of my alarm?"

"Oh. Well, you just said you'd be with Gene, not what you were doing."

Dante, who was across from me, gasped. "YOU WERE WITH GENE?!"

"Yeah...? Why are you so obsessed with him? And don't say cause he's your sibling, cause I got two and don't freak out about their lives."

"Well— it's just surprising, that's all! I didn't expect you two to hang out alone so soon after making up."

Garroth began to giggle. "Y/n and Gene alone, eh?"

"I just hung out with him at work; there was something that pertained to my interests."

"Like...seeing him work?" Aph teased.

I groaned. "No. I told myself I wouldn't say anything, but since you guys want to pester me so much..." I explained Gene's job and why I was with him today, which resulted in a rude awakening for me. No one has heard of Masami except two people, Lucinda and Kawaii~chan, who I've barely ever spoken to. I was expecting jealousy, but instead, everyone went back to talk about Gene, even Kawaii~chan. I guess shipping is a lot more fun than talking about a TALENTED ARTIST?!

"Kawaii~chan thinks it's super cute that Gene~kun invited Y/n~chan!"

"Hm. I knew that Gene missed you, and you missed—"

I cut Dante off. "Whatever we talked about on the ship stays on the ship."

"What happened on the ship?" Travis questioned.

I sighed. "Guys, I'm...gonna be honest about something. Talking about Gene and I as anything more than friends is stressful. I want to be in love, but I don't want to be forced into feeling a certain way." I met eyes with Dante. "I know you worry about him, but I can't be the one. We may be friends again, but that doesn't matter when he lives and works here."

"Sorry, Y/n. You're right, I guess I have been a little much..." Dante admitted.

"A little?" I mused. "Well, as long as everyone understands now... Anyways, I'm gonna take a nap. Waking up at 8:30 wasn't fun."

"How did you even make it through high school, Y/n?" Katelyn asked.

I shrugged. "The desire to meet society's expectations."

"Huh, but I thought sitting out of gym as often as you did would be against society?" Aaron questioned.

"Well, sometimes being terrified of buff, tall guys that hit you in the face with a dodgeball trumps everything else."