Chapter 24~ Smile

There's a slight possibility that I hate going out, but you know what? Today, the day my best friend is announcing her ENGAGEMENT, is a great day, even if it involves going to a new place. Yes, maybe this morning was a rocky start because when I needed to leave for work, Gene's hand was under my shirt and groping my chest, but hey, we're being positive, today. How...sweet is Gene while he's sleeping, AM I RIGHT?! 

Currently, Gene and I were parked in F/n's driveway, and the smile I had plastered on since I clocked into work was beginning to make my face ache. We don't freak out over social gatherings anymore; we are calm. Well, we're excited, but in a good way. Not in an 'Oh my Irene, I'm gonna throw up' way! 

"Wow, Y/n, I didn't know you liked housewarming parties so much!" Gene exclaimed.

"They're...great!" I said.

He placed his hand on my thigh and looked me in the eye. "It pains me to say this, but the smiling needs to stop."

"Yeah, seriously, it's freakish at this point."

My shoulders jumped as I whipped my head to the backseat. Oh yeah, Dante's here, too. "Your face is freakish," I mumbled, finally letting my smile drop.

We exited the car and I glanced around the area. No other houses in sight... They sure chose a secluded place. Their house was pretty cute, though. Brilliant green shrubbery surrounded it, contrasting nicely with the gray exterior, and a wrap around porch with a swing was front and center. Arriving at the front door, we were let in by F/n, who immediately smirked upon glancing between Gene and I. After throwing her arms around me in a tight hug, she led us down a hallway to the living room. Scanning the area, it seemed like Dante, Gene, and I, were the last ones to arrive. F/n's parents were chatting with Sydney's, and Lucas, interestingly enough, was talking to Maria. I hope Lucas isn't trying to find love in Maria, because I refuse to call him my step-father-in law in the future.

...I highly doubt Maria is looking to date anyone after her fairly recent divorce.

Gene and Dante split off to greet their aunt, uncle, and Maria, while F/n joined Sydney in the kitchen/dining room. I met eyes with Lucas, who got up and approached me. To my surprise, he met me with a hug, which prompted Gene to already return to my side.

When Lucas let go, I gave an awkward smile. "Wasn't expecting a hug after our last conversation."

"I'm just sorry about yelling at you and for the date I could've saved you from going on." He glanced at Gene. "Are...you guys on good terms, now?"

Gene wrapped his arm around me. "Great terms, actually."

And just like that, I was phased out of the conversation.

"Oh, interesting how that worked out." Lucas narrowed his eyes at me before looking back at Gene. "Watching her like a hawk, huh?"

Please don't start anything.

"I just like being around my girlfriend, something wrong with that?" Gene questioned.

"No, but you're kinda keeping her leashed."

"Really? Cause if anything, Y/n does the leashing. I felt a tug on, due to the occasion, my metaphorical collar."

Gene's confusing me... Is he a swi— Ohhhh my Irene. It is NOT the time to be having such thoughts.

"...Didn't need to know that," Lucas said. "I'm just gonna go see if F/n and Sydney need help."

Speaking of those two, neither of them are wearing rings... Obviously, cause that'd give away the surprise, but I wonder how they're gonna announce their engagement!