Side Story 4~ New Year('s Eve), New Friend

Several months before the wedding...

Today was New Year's Eve, and with Gene having to stay late at work, it was a lonely one.

Or so I thought. Shuffling and shivering into Gene and I's place was Lucinda, who was covered in snow. Through chattering teeth, she explained that she found out about my lonely predicament via seeing Gene head into work from outside her potion store, so she came to check up on me and hang out, cause "misery loves company". I couldn't help but feel touched; after all, Lucinda and I haven't really talked.

Settling onto the living room couch (or rather, the only couch in the house), we chatted about work and then Christmas, which led us into traditions.

I sighed. "I was hoping Gene and I could've gotten the ball rolling on traditions... Even if we don't do the same thing every year, at least figuring them out together would be nice. New Year's Eve last year was a lot better. There was no blizzard, too."

"It's a shame everyone went out of town for the most part," Lucinda said. "If we had another party like last year, at least we'd be snowed in together."

Everyone on the street staying over at one person's house? I feel like it'd be too cramped... "I prefer the option where no one's snowed in."

"Don't you think it'd be kind of fun?" Lucinda asked. "It'd be like Love~Love Paradise again. I feel like everyone could use more time together."

It is true that everyone's been busy with their own lives, but... "I'm surprised you're saying that, Lucinda!"

"Why's that?"

I stifled a laugh. "Considering you were sleeping most of vacation!"

"From what I remember, so were you! It wasn't until you ran into a certain somebody that you started going out more."

"Not true! I barely hung out with Gene on vacation. I was out with Aph, Katelyn, and Kawaii~chan a lot more. Maybe we would've hung out sooner if—"

A loud bang erupted from outside.

I shrunk up in my spot on the couch. "Oh my Irene what was that?!"

"If I were to guess... Garroth and Laurance's huge inflatable Santa?" Lucinda said.

I let out a deep breath and relaxed myself. "That's what they get for leaving their Christmas stuff up after Christmas, I guess."

"I'm surprised Zane puts up with their inflatables... They had a giant jack-o'-lantern and a turkey before Santa. I wonder what's next?" 

Interesting how they started this tradition after moving onto the new street. Zane must be dying to move out. If I remember correctly... "Earlier this year they had a heart for February...which also popped, a Leprechaun in March, and the Easter Bunny for April. May through September they had nothing."

"If they're gonna do the same as this year, did they fix the heart? Or are they gonna order something new? Ah, speaking of decorations...I noticed you and Gene didn't decorate for Christmas."

I brought my knees to my chest and wore a pout. "I asked him about it earlier in the month and he said we'd go shopping but...that never happened. He's been so busy with work! I guess I could've ordered stuff myself, but I really wanted to decorate with him! It'd be boring alone." I sighed. "Maybe it's my fault for not asking him again."

Although...it's not like Gene could just turn down work. This year he's picked up more artists and bands for his label, so he has more to manage. He has to prepare stuff for next year, so it's fine that he's not here; we celebrated everything else together, after all! I glanced down at my engagement ring.