Chapter 2~ Sudden Vacation

My neighbors are always spontaneous, but for once, I appreciate it. Aphmau, Zane, Garroth, Katelyn, Kawaii~chan, Lucinda, and I were all hanging out playing card games when Aaron and Dante burst in saying that they got tickets to this Love~Love Paradise place. I've never heard of it, but with how excited everyone was, I knew it was an amazing place. There was a condition that forced us to leave immediately without packing anything, but we all went with it. Life is going downhill right now, so I need a vacation. So...yeah! That's how the nine of us ended up on a plane and then a ship to the destined 'legendary island'.

Currently, we were on the ocean leg of our journey, and everyone was doing their own thing. As for me, I was overlooking the water, until I noticed someone appear next to me. I turned to look at who it was.

"Oh, hey Dante," I greeted.

"Hey! What's up? You seemed to be spaced out. You okay?" he asked.

I shrugged and began retelling my meet up with my brother from two weeks ago that caused me to think about my silly, lonely little life, which then led me into a horrid slump that got me fired from my job. Before I could realize it, I had blabbed too much. "Sorry, I haven't talked to anyone about this. I just needed to vent."

"Not even F/n? That's rough... I'm your guy, Y/n," Dante offered. "I mean, I know Laurance usually is, but he's not with us for the summer. I'll hear you out, no worries!"

I smiled. "Thanks, Dante."

"So what did your brother put on your mind?"

I quickly looked away and focused my gaze on the ocean; I was able to see the faint outline of land. "It's kinda stupid. I don't know if I can tell you..." 

"I'm not here to judge!" he assured. "Only to listen."

I felt heat creeping up on my cheeks. "B/n thought I'm missing a relationship in life, which made me think about who I've dated in the past, and the fact that..." I trailed off before picking up again in a low murmur, "I've only had one serious relationship."

Dante managed to hear my murmur, as he responded with saying 'Gene' in a quizzical tone. In response, I nodded slowly.

"You know he misses you, right?" Dante questioned.

I turned to Dante and furrowed my brows. "It's been years since we've talked, so no... I didn't know how to talk to or even text him after we broke up. Early on I sent messages asking how he was, but I never got any replies. Now...it's been too long."

Dante sighed. "Truth be told, I haven't been keeping touch with him or my parents lately. I feel like there's a lot going on with him, but I have no idea what! He's my brother, but I feel like he doesn't tell me anything... Maybe it's my fault for not asking."

I leaned over the ship's guard railing. "That's how Gene is... Always keeping things to himself."

"But not when he was with you," Dante interjected. "From the outside looking in, he seemed to tell you everything." There was a long pause before he spoke again. "I hope that helped."

I sheepishly laughed. "Thanks, Dante." I feel like my bitterness yet longing for Gene is even stronger, now...but I'm worried about him, too; if it's true that he's going through a lot as Dante said.

There was a period of silence between us until we got closer to the island. He informed me that he was gonna gather everyone up to get off of the ship, so I offered to help him. I rounded up the girls, and Dante handled the guys. By the time we were done, the ship had docked and we all disembarked.

"I can't believe we're actually here! It's too good to be true!" Aphmau squealed.

"It's lovely, just standing at the outskirts," Lucinda remarked. "This summer is gonna be great. Relaxation and fun here we come!"