Chapter 1:

Published: 31/12/21

No ones POV

Jace groaned and stirred in his bed as a loud alarm went off in the institute. "Attention all! Please make your way down to the ops centre immediately for an important announcement" Maryse spoke out from the speaker. She had been sent back from Alicante and was temporarily made head of the NYC Institute to be ready to discuss an important change. Jace assumed that this announcement might have been the reasons for this sudden situation. He rolled over to cuddle his girlfriend only to be greeted with an empty side. Jace got up instantly and called Clary. The phone rang out and he was sent to voicemail followed by a message from Clary. 'Hey sorry I can't talk right now but I'm on my way back, I just heard there's some emergency meeting at the institute, has it started yet?' - Clary. 'Hey no the meeting hasn't started yet. Do you need help, are you ok!?' Jace replied. "Everything's fine I'll be there soon.' Clary answered. He got out of bed, took a warm shower and got dressed in a pair of black jeans, combat boots and a loose grey t-shirt.

The ops centre was crowed with shadowhunters and Clary was finding it hard to weave her way  through people to get to an annoyed Jace. By the time she reached Jace, Maryse began to project her voice loud enough for everyones attention. "Thank you all for coming" Maryse began. Jace jerked his head behind him as Clary grabbed his forearm. She wore black skinny jeans, a navy v neck t-shirt and combat boots. Immediately he smiled and relaxed his body, turning his attention back to his adoptive mother. "Hey you!" Clary whispered to Jace loud enough for him to hear. "Hey yourself. I woke up to a booming alarm with no Clary to snuggle up to" Jace whispered back as Clary giggled at his complaint. "Seriously tho I was worried something might have happed to you, you didn't leave a note or a message." Jace's tone was now serious and Clary's expression mirrored it. "I'm sorry I didn't mean to worry you. Do you forgive me?" Clary whispered in a soft voice. Jace tilted his own head down locking eyes with his girlfriend. "Of course I do, but you don't need to apologise, I'm not trying to control your every move, I just get worried that somethings happened to you, that's all" Jace creased her cheek and turned back to Maryse with a puzzled face as Clary bagan to giggle. "Did I say something funny?" Jace questioned. "Your so cute sometimes you know" Clary told him. "Hey!" Jace warned, "I am not cute! I am sexy, tough, hot, manly, dreamy, but not cute!" That only made Clary laugh harder. The two of them hadn't heard a word Maryse had spoken but by the groans,  shouting, and complaints that were coming from the audience the two suspected it wasn't good! "That's enough!" Maryse raised her voice slightly in frustration. Adults were unapproving and frustrated, young teens were angry and annoyed. "This is nonsense, our children are not moving to Alicante we need them all here, and with those numbers down the demon attacks are going to be off the charts." A random man in the crowd yelled out with fury. "Your not in charge here, I am! And I'm ordering this institute on lockdown no one can leave but people may enter. All shadowhunters and downworlders between the ages of 5-20 must return here at 12 pm sharp, further information and details will be explained then. Anyone that age found outside of Idris will be punished." Maryse said confidently and strictly. "Jace, what.. what's going on" Clary asked with a slight shake in her voice. Jace noticed her nervousness and tried to sooth her. He turned to her and cupped her face with his hands. "Hey, everything's going to be ok, I'm going to find out, alight no ones sending you anywhere. Especially if it's away from me." The crowd started to dissolve as confused and angry shadowhunters left the room.

Jace saw Maryse leaving the steps and heading out to her office. Jace grabbed Clary's hand and dragged her towards his adoptive mothers office. Clary interlaced her fingers with Jace's and caught up with his pace. They entered the office to find Maryse begin to pack a briefcase after pressing the institute lock in button. "Maryse, what's going on?" Jace asked her. Maryse turned to face the two people in front of her, she sighed. "Oh Jace, I know this might be hard for you to hear especially since you and Clary might get split up-". "WHAT!" Jace said in a deep angry voice, "no one is taking me away from her, over my dead body!" "Jace please calm down. Look all I can say now is that the new council has mandated education which includes learning to demon hunt-" "I don't care what the council is doing! I'm not listening to their pointless demands! I don't need to be taught something I already know and am already the best at!" Jace spoke anger and frustration clearly in his tone. Clary cuddled his side and placed her hand on his chest, tilting her head up slightly to look at him. He looked down locking eyes with her as she began to speak. "Jace please. I don't like it either but It's going to happen anyway weather we like it or not, let's just hear what Maryse has to say" Jace could hear the fear in her soft tone. He placed his hand on her head brushing it down as he replied. "No, I'm not taking the risk of leaving you" he said in a whisper loud enough for only Clary to hear. "Jace please let me just get you prepared for what's to come" the room remained silent and Maryse took that as her opportunity to continue. "All shadowhunters and downworlders aged 5-20 have to move to Idris to attend an academy. Others who would like to attend an academy may with an interview and discussion made but it's only optional for them. For you, you have about 2-3 years until you can choose to leave. There-" "2-3 years" Jace said in a way that made Clary's heartache. Clary could sense his pain and fear of leaving her and she felt the exact same way. She held onto Jace's side tighter as Maryse continued. "There are 4 academics, the Shadowhunter Academy for years 5-20 optional boarding, the Idris Academy which is a compulsory boarding for years 13-20, Downworlders Academy for years 3-20 compulsory boarding, and the Alicante Infant Academy boarding optional years 3-12. You can either be given the opportunity to chose between the Shadowhunter Academy or Idris Academy but some people have been requested to attend a certain one. I have no information on whether any of you have had the Academy chosen for you yet but I need you both to start packing now because we leave tonight at 6pm. Pack what you can. When you arrive at Idris you there'll be a camp, you'll both will be split up into categories of gender,  species, and age and so on. That arrangement is only for the night to prepare you for the next day. At the academy you will study the history of our culture, train, demon hunt in groups, demon study, rune study, fitness, weapons and notable people study and more. It'll be just like high school only for the shadowworld. Obviously Downworlders Academy learn different stuff. Idris Academy however is open to Shadowhunters and Downworlders." Maryse's statement did't exactly calm their nerves but they were grateful for the warning, they calmed down a little but still had worries on their minds. "Go start packing" Maryse exclaimed, "Oh and Clary dear could you please stay here" Maryse finished and by Jace's confused and protective expression Maryse reassured him, "Just for a little chat". With that Jace left shutting the door behind him and making his way to his room to start packing, knowing all too well that he wasn't going to hear a word behind the door.

"Listen I didn't want to say this in front of Jace because I know how overprotective he can get, and I know this definitely isn't going to make you feel any better, but ... tonight when you're arranging into groups those groups will be split into alphabetical order for the sleeping rooms so tonight you won't be with Isabelle or possibly anyone you know." Maryse informed a now more nervous Clary. "Thank you for letting me know before hand." As Clary was leaving Maryse asked her final question, "Clary dear I know this is a scary change especially since you've never been to Idris or the Academies, but once you settle in your going to be fine I know it." Clary turned around to face Maryse "I'm not usually like this, it's just that I'm not a big fan of Idris from all the things I've heard about it and all the stories from there. From what I've been told my mother, Luke, Dot, Magnus, my brother and even Jace, not one of them have had good experiences from Idris. And I know I'm a shadowhunter now, I shouldn't be afraid to go to school or a country but I can't help it. But your right, I'll be fine I just need to adjust." Maryse nodded her head slightly at Clary's confession and she gave her a soft smile as Clary left the room.