Chapter 9 "where i need to be"

Meredith's Point-of-View

I blinked my eyes opened as I hurried into work the next morning. I was more eager to get Derek's blood work results than I was to make it to rounds in time. I rifled through the papers at the nurses' station desk until I found the one with his name on it. I glanced through it and let out a sigh of relief.

I found myself smiling by the time I walked into his room and stopped just inside the door. I looked up to find him sleeping, he shifted a little and took in a deep breath, a smile crossed his lips and he let out a soft hum.

"You're here early, Dr. Grey." He crackled out in a fatigued voice.

I smirked as I went to his bed side where he opened his eyes and smiled at me.

"You didn't even have your eyes open." I noted, "How did you know it was me?"

"I could smell you."

"Smell me?" I panicked, I pulled my jacket collar to my nose and sniffed, I didn't smell anything funky. What was he talking about?

"It's not a bad thing." He chuckled, "You smell like a flower, it's nothing overwhelming, it's actually kind of nice. When you're in the room, I can close my eyes and pretend I'm in the middle of a field of them."

"Oh." I smiled, "Well, I came in to talk to you about your blood results."

He cringed, "Please tell me I don't have to have that stupid catheter again?"

"No." I smiled, "Your infection is going away. I think as long as you can get up and make it to the bathroom without too much help, you can stay catheter free."

"Thank god." He groaned, then winked in my direction, "And thank you."

"You seem happy this morning." I said, "Does that mean you've decided to live today?"

"Not necessarily." He sighed, "However, it's always a good day when it starts with you."

I blushed, looking down at my hands before clearing my throat.

"Well, I wanted to come and see you before I go do rounds." I sighed "I have a long day ahead of me, we're doing a piggyback surgery, so I'll probably be in the OR all day."

"Will you come back and tell me all about it?"

"I would." I smiled, "However, my parents have me trapped into this benefit banquet. My mother is receiving another award and I have no idea what I am going to wear. I don't know if you can tell, but I'm not the kind of girl that gets all dolled up. Most of my dresses are made to attract the wrong kind of attention."

He grinned "Wear the sluttiest one."

"My parents would feel disrespected."

"Exactly." He chuckled, "What better way to piss your mother off?"

I giggled and shook my head, "You're evil."

"At least come show me your dress." He demanded, I hesitated by looking at the clock while calibrating an appropriate response, "Oh come on, I'm a dead man just laying here rotting away. There's only so much television a person can watch."

"I'll think about it." I rolled my eyes, "No promises."

"Well, I can't promise that I'll live to the end of the day."

I narrowed my eyes at him, "So, you're saying that if I come show you my dress you'll hang onto the thread of life today, and if I don't, you'll die?"

"Yes, do you really want my life in your hands?"

I scoffed but let out a defeated sigh, "I will make sure I come by to show you my dress, but I can't promise how long I can stay."