Chapter 32 "you got married?"

Derek's Point-of View

"We got off easy." She breathed in disbelief as we stepped into the hallway.

"I told you that you were making it out worse than it was."

"No." she shook her head "I wasn't, I mean we got off really easy... almost too easy."

"You got off easy my love." I sighed "I'm not so sure, I will."

"What do you mean?" she stopped and bunched up her brow. "We're already married. It's not like they can hold a gun to your head until you marry the daughter you knocked up."

I rolled my eyes "I would've gladly done it anyway." I shrugged, "You don't know your father very well, at least not professionally."

"Meaning?" she tapped her foot.

"Meaning...he's been trying to rope me into this place for years."

Her eyes widened "What!" she hissed, "No! You've been in remission for three weeks Derek! You can't go back to work yet!"

"Richard likes to pull strings." I pointed out, then held up my left hand and wiggled my ring finger "and this just gave him enough strings to build a rope bridge across the Atlantic."

"I'm sorry, are you saying that our marriage was a bad idea?" she scoffed, "As your wife, I am putting my foot down and saying no."

"No, our marriage was the best idea I've come up with yet." I soothed, "And you're an intern, Richard is chief, you can't tell him no."

"You can."

I sighed heavily...it wasn't that easy.

"Derek." She persisted for an answer...the one she wanted to hear.

"Look, if it makes things easier for you for us, why not? I'm going to be here indefinitely anyway."

"Not if you work yourself to death!" she muttered, "I just worked my ass off to keep you alive! I won't have you running around this place for 100 hours a week. If you insist on working, it has to be slow and reasonable."

"There is no slow and reasonable in surgery." I argued. "After all, you were the one that said I belonged back in the OR."

"Don't you dare twist my own words against me." She scoffed, "I didn't mean so soon after your recovery."

"If I'm going to make a full recovery, I have to start living my life, sitting around all day twiddling my thumbs is depressing."

"Who ever said—"

"What the hell!" a voice down the hall cut her and our argument off. She looked over to see a petite Asian girl walking towards us.

"I thought you'd be maybe 30 minutes late for rounds, not miss the whole god damned thing Meredith, you're really dropping the ball!" she lectured as she approached us, flashing a harsh glance my way, "What are you doing here, didn't you get discharged?"

"I beg your pardon?" I scoffed.

"Oh, just go home already." she murmured, "She saved your life, no need to go sniffing her around everywhere, she has work to do."

"Cristina." Meredith hissed under her breath.

"No." she persisted, "I stayed quiet when you were upstairs doting over his rotting corpse, but now it's getting pathetic." She turned to see my look of disbelief, "I thought you were leaving?"

"I thought you were schooled on bedside manner." I shot back. Oh touché ...

"You're not a patient anymore. I can talk to you however I want now."

"No, he's not a patient." Meredith interjected, half nervously "But...he is my husband."

Cristina did a double take as Meredith rose her left hand and shined her pretty rocks in her face. I smiled boastfully.

"You got married!" she said so loudly I was sure corpses in the morgue heard her. "So, you weren't joking this morning when you said you ran away to a tropical island and got hitched?

"No." Meredith mumbled.

"Holy shit...next thing you're going to tell me is that you're pregnant."

Meredith's back stiffened up and she stayed mum as Cristina made a slew of facial expressions. I stayed at her side and placed my hand softly at the small of her back to let her know I was there.. she leaned into it.

"Seriously?"

"Seriously." Meredith hummed.

"How...when..." she shook her head, then I saw her wheels turning and she cringed. "On second thought, I don't want to know because I don't want to be held liable."

"There will be nothing to be held liable for." I insisted.

"What about Bailey?" Cristina sighed, still upset, "What is she going to say to you? She already hates you as it is."

"She's going to say..." we heard in a firm, but calm voice behind us. I turned and saw a familiar face of one of my former colleagues, "She's going to say congratulations...and that she'll be on skut for a while due to her lack in making rounds, and her...condition."

"What!" Meredith blurted. "I'm fine, I'm a surgeon, and obviously have a lot of catching up to do."

"You can catch up slowly, starting with charts and labs." Miranda smiled vengefully

"I can't work slowly, I'm a surgeon."

"What was that you were just telling me dear?" I mumbled, "about working slow and reasonably?"

She turned and gave me a look that could kill, a look that sent my balls receding back into my pelvis in fear of their life...

"Is that what this is about?" she muttered through her teeth, "You want to kill yourself and come back to work so soon just to mommy track me? Well, I have news for you Derek Shepherd! I may have spent a lot of time at your bedside over the last four months and I may have missed out on a lot of surgeries because of it but it was worth it because it got you here today. But I'll be damned if I am going to be babysat!"

She turned on her heels and before I could grab her, she took off...

"Pregnancy hormones are a bitch." Cristina snickered, "An awesome, awesome bitch...congratulations."

I gave her a half assed sarcastic smile as she took off towards my retreating wife. I sighed as I glanced at Miranda who was standing there shaking her head with a smug smile on her face.

"You have no idea what you just got yourself into."

"None at all." I gulped.

None at all...