Chapter 35 "something is wrong"

Meredith's Point-of View

I ran my hand over my belly as I felt a rough movement that stirred me from my sleep. I sighed as I looked at the clock again, I'd only gotten twenty-three minutes of sleep... I'd been up tossing and turning. Something just didn't feel right, something was wrong.

Derek was persistent on reassuring me that all was well. Even going to the lengths of conceding to unnecessary x-ray exams just to appease me. He was a good husband, he was a good man—which made it that much harder to think I could lose him.

I jostled myself over to face him...he was sound asleep on his pillow, even in his slumber he looked exhausted. I reached out and placed my hand on his cheek to softly stroke it—my palm burned against his skin, and I gasped as I yanked it away. I brought it to his forehead and felt the same scorching touch.

I sat up and flipped the lamp on to see better and gasped again as I saw that he was soaking wet. I panicked and reached out to gently shake him...he wasn't stirring easily.

"Derek." I hissed as I shook harder, "Derek wake up!"

"Hmm." He groaned as his eyes fought to open, finally his glossy blue eyes looked up at me "What...what's wrong?"

"You're burning up." I croaked as I felt my pregnancy hormones suddenly kick in, "Get up, we're going to the hospital."

"What?" he came to and sat up, he pulled at his shirt, peeling it from his skin. "Mer I'm fine."

"You're not fine!" I hissed as I searched for my shoes, "You look like you just stepped out of a swimming pool and your skin is searing hot—that's not fine!"

"Mer, you need to calm down or you'll throw yourself into premature labor." He tried to sooth me...really, he was the patient here. "I'm fine—just a little hot. I'll take some Tylenol and a cool shower, I'll be fine."

"You need to get your god damn shoes on and get your ass in the car is what you need to do!"

"You're being ridiculous." He wheezed as he walked into the bathroom and started the shower, I stood at the door with arms crossed over my belly—I could be stubborn too. "Baby please...after all the years of beings sick, I would know if I was sick."

I gulped as I knew the truth to that...but would he tell me if he was sick?

"You're fine." I forced the words out of my mouth, though I didn't believe them.

"I'm fine." He smiled as he padded towards me and planted a hot kiss on my forehead. "Go back to bed and get some sleep, I'll be there in a few."

"Okay." I whispered.

I sighed as I turned back to the room and knew that I wasn't going to get anymore sleep. I yanked the soaking wet sheets off the bed and took them to the laundry room, then grabbed a fresh pair and re-made the bed. I heard the shower turn off and decided to set out a dry pair of pajama pants and boxers for him, I laid them at the end of the bed and crawled over to my side.

He smiled at me as he walked out of the bathroom, already looking better as he rubbed a towel through his hair. I tried not to lick my lips as I saw the towel hanging recklessly around his perfect hips, but an uncontrollable tremble gave me away—he laughed.

"Shut up, I can't help it." I huffed as I picked up a book and cracked it open to a random page "Stupid hormones."

He laid on his stomach on the bed next to me and grinned, I threw him a sideways glance in my attempt to ignore him.

"Are you saying that you're in the mood?" he asked.

"Whether I am or not." I scoffed as I tossed him a glare "You are in no condition for that kind of...behavior."

He sighed softly as he propped himself up on his elbows, "Feel me."

"I don't need to feel you."

"Meredith." He pleaded "feel me."

I sighed and rolled my eyes as I reached out and placed my palm on his forehead...it was cool and dry. I gulped as a sense of relief washed over me, I noticed complete color in his face, and his eyes were sparkling—with desire.

"Feel me." He whispered as he took my hand and rubbed it down his body.

"Derek." I gasped.

He moved my hand down the front of his towel where I could feel the top of his hard erection. I groaned as I felt my own desire aching between my legs. He grabbed into my thighs and pulled me swiftly underneath him and planted his lips on mine. I moaned deeply as I felt my peak rising quickly.

"Derek." I panted between kisses, "We shouldn't."

"Shut up." He sighed.

"What." I scoffed, "Did you seriously just tell me to shut up?"

"I did." He gulped, "I told you when I left the hospital, it's my turn to take care of you now...I call the shots. So shut up, I want to make love to my wife."

With that I simply closed my lips...well, the ones attached to my face anyway.

"What are you doing up here?" Cristina scoffed as she sat down next to me in the OR gallery. I glanced at her from my observation and sighed.

"Watching Derek's surgery."

"He's just doing a stupid craniotomy." She snorted as she opened a bag of chips and popped one in her mouth "You've seen those done a thousand times."

"Not a thousand." I said, "I'm interested." I reached over and stole a chip out of her bag.

"I didn't say I would share."

"Then leave." I mumbled through my mouthful.

"What?" she scoffed. "You can't tell me to leave."

"You can't walk into a room with a pregnant woman and not share your food." I said, "So leave or share."

She shook her head and sighed with defeat as she handed me the bag of chips.

"So why are you so interested in Derek's craniotomy?"

I sighed through my nose as I munched on another chip, "He had a fever last night. Soaked the bed, he was burning up and slightly unresponsive."

"Why didn't you rush him in?"

"He wouldn't let me." I mumbled, "I tried."

"So, we're not watching Derek's surgery...we're watching Derek."

"I am watching Derek." I said, "You are feeding me and your god-child."

She raised her brow in surprise as she glanced at my belly and blew out a breath "What exactly does a god mother do?"

"Bring the kid presents and shit...and takes over my job if Derek and I croak."

"Hmm." She hummed, somewhat happily "You know, in a way...I kind of hope you and Derek die."

"Thanks." I grimaced.

"Dr. Shepherd, are you okay?"

I threw the bag of chips back to Cristina and jumped to my feet as I saw Derek doubled over in the OR, yanking off his mask as he grabbed the nearest trash can and threw up in it. I felt the hair on my arms stand at end as I forced the half-mauled food in my mouth down to my stomach.

"Oh...he doesn't look so good." Cristina said.

Before I could scoff a sarcastic come back, I heard a crash as Derek collapsed in the middle of the OR—my heart stopped.